Naval Ships and Tech discussion (LONG)

Scott Adams longshot at JAX.FIDONET.ORG
Wed Dec 10 22:31:22 CET 1997

*** Quoting scott.cohan at SSA.GOV from a message to longshot ***

sc>   Too bad that "Water from Stone", "Sustenance", and "Preservation"
sc> are all LAW   spells and the Climans are Chaotic.

oh yeah..:)..hmmm..err...your right.  Forgot about that.  So maybe they had a
wizard prisoner :) (yeah right).

sc>   "Cogs, Caravels and Galleons", part of Conway's History of the
sc> Ship.

     that should help...

sc> Ships:   With prevailing wind: Average Speed = 2.53 knots (1.20 to
sc> 3.98)   Against wind: Average Speed = 1.14 knots (1.06 to 1.24)

sc>   This means, even sailing 24 hours/day at full speed, a trip of 560
sc> miles would   take 9 days with the wind and 20 days against it.

Looks good info.

sc>   I still have a lot of reading to do, but so far I think that I can
sc> use Genoese   Crusader transports and Hanseatic cogs for most nations
sc> in the SoT, and use  caravels and the Catalan nao for the more
sc> nautically advanced nations (Clima,   Fomoria)

Yes.  Donara and Marentia might have Carvels as well.  Sivas is a major port
you know.  :)

sc> catapults and   my personal favorite siege weapon, the springald.

Never heard of that..

sc> full size   replica of a cog in 1991.  Perhaps our friends in
sc> Amsterdam have heard of   this?  (Maybe not, but you're a lot closer
sc> than I am)

Didn't they sail one around the country?  I seem to remeber seeing a old ship
in town a few years ago..

sc>   More details as I read farther, but so far, I feel comfortable
sc> changing the   naval tech to this level (late 14th, early 15th
sc> century).  Keeps it equitable   with the armor and weapon tech.

Well if you get a final draft do post it here for us guys :)

Did you see the post I did on ships from TSR?

~~~ Telegard v3.09.g1/mL