Naval Ships and Tech discussion (LONG)

Scott Adams longshot at JAX.FIDONET.ORG
Sun Dec 14 08:00:50 CET 1997

*** Quoting scott.cohan at SSA.GOV from a message to longshot ***

sc>   Well, theoretically, they _could_ buy Law spells, but at
sc> substantial   penalties.

     Yep.  Or be the evil ones they are and force a good wizard (har har) :).

Cliche of evil magic tryants..

sc>   I'm not sure which nations I would consider "nautically advanced".
sc> According   to the Sea of Tears article, only the nations of Erdan
sc> and Aratad have the   navigational skill to cross the open sea.  Of
sc> course, the article also states   that a major trade route crosses
sc> the open sea between Pelara and Maoun, so it   contradicts itself.
sc>   Right now, I'm assuming most nations prefer to hug the coast, but
sc> can make   open sea trips if required.  They probably sail by the
sc> stars, with only the   more advanced nations having any knowledge of
sc> sextants and such.  I would   define the nautically advanced nations
sc> as Fomoria and Clima and possibly   Aratad (seeing as they were
sc> occupied by Clima until recently, perhaps some of   their naval tech
sc> rubbed off).      The added advantage of using caravels for the more
sc> advanced nations is that   you can use the same ship for Lemasa and
sc> those troublesome trips East.      Now, there's nothing wrong with
sc> cogs and Crusader Transports, they're just   not as advanced as the
sc> caravel.  They're still wonderful ships for the Sea of   Tears (They
sc> worked in the Mediterranean even after the caravel was developed).
sc> Besides, caravels are more expensive and cost more to run than cogs
sc> and   crusader transports, because they are bigger ships.  Most
sc> nations wouldn't   need to build caravels.  Clima is the notable
sc> exception, as they must make   long trips without stopping and must
sc> have larger ships in order to carry out   their excise duties.

     I agree with fomoria.  Did alot of campagins with them and that area.
Clima I tend to half and half depending on the person/site.  I also typically
let Donara and Marentia have some advanced navigational skills based mainly on
their power in the area or influence with others.  What do you consider open
sea say south of port doman (easy reference).  5 hexes from the coast?  Just
curious.  :)

sc>   It's basically a large vertical wooden grid, thus:   +--+--+--+--+
sc>  |  |  |  |  |   +--+--+--+--+   |  |  |  |  |   +--+--+--+--+   with
sc> about 64 to 144 holes.  The holes have an arrow placed in each one,
sc> while   a large piece of wood which covers the rear of the holes is
sc> pulled back and   released.  Something like:

ahh..ok..know 'em..actually saw one used in a 'historical' show (Xena har har).

sc>   Helps break the ice against boarding parties.

I'd say.

sc>   Still doing research, but I'll post it, never fear.  It's not as if
sc> the list   is cluttered or anything.

hehe..

Well I like to bounce all the ideas around myself..since I can't play (due to
I'm the only real GM of it in the area) I play through npcs :).

sc>   I did.  I used to have a copy of the old BATTLESYSTEM rules lying
sc> about, but I   sold them a while ago.  Oh, well.  It looks like it
sc> could be useful.  Thanks.

Its a good reference I'm going to use myself...

sc>   Well, I've got to get back to work.  Bye!
See ya!

~~~ Telegard v3.09.g1/mL