spreadsheets two..

Scott Cohan scott.cohan at SSA.GOV
Fri Nov 7 14:24:03 CET 1997

<SNIP>
>I am looking at carry capacity also.  An average person should be able to carry
>up to 25% of their weight for short distances. They also should be able to lift
>their own weight and move for short distances. They should be able to press at
>least 0.5 their body weight. (these are general rules from the American Body
>Builders Association)  Given that this is true a 25' Atoch should weigh about
>6.8 TONS    [and at 10lbs./in^2 he would sink into normal dirt about 6" ( I am
>working on the formula for this now.... As well as a race plus minus chart for
>the 46.7 lb. base).]
  >It makes those 45lb. Rocks they pitch about the same as you or I throwing
  >marbles....(a 45lb. rock is slightly large than a bowling ball but smaller
  >than a basketball) THEREFORE, much to the dismay of our group, we now have
  >them pitch boulders, not rocks. They weigh about 800lbs. and have a WSB of
  >+10.
  Actually, since the Athach are roughly 4x our height, reduce the dimensions by
  4 and I get about a "Magic 8 ball" or an Olympic Shotput.  Just about the
  right size to peg someone.

  Well, luckily the Athach is one of the monsters that I converted into the HERO
  system, so let's take a look:

  STR 40       6 Levels of Growth (No END, Persistent, Always On)
  DEX 14       +7" Running
  CON 30       2 PD Armor
  BODY 30      +5 Enhanced PER, Smell
  INT 5        Tracking Scent
  EGO 10       Targeting Sense, Smell
  PRE 35       Survival 11>
  COM 6        Tracking 14>
  PD 12        3d6-1 HKA, "BITE", Reduced Penetration
  ED 8
  SPD 3        Distinctive Features: Huge Giant
  REC 9        Physical Limitation: Large, Bulky, Clumsy
  END 60       CDF: Aligned to Kotothi
  STUN 66      Physical Limitation: Almost Completely Blind

  Points aside, lets look at a few things:
  6 levels of Growth puts the Athach at 8m high which is 26¼'  (Close enough)
  It also makes his weight 6.4 tons (close enough to 6.8)

  Now this is an average Atach, so he starts out with average STR (10) +30 for
  Growth.  A STR of 10 means the average person can lift his own weight above
  his head. (using both hands).  The average Athach can, therefore, lift his own
  weight above his head with both hands.

  The average Athach can hurl a 45# (20kg) rock with one hand roughly 100'.
  If they traded up to 800# (call it 400kg) boulders, they would need both hands
  and could hurl them only half that distance.  When you consider that 50' is
  only twice average Athach height, that would be the equivalent of you or I
  hunting with a 50kg (110#) rock that we could only throw about 12' with both
  hands.  I think it would be easier to hunt with the smaller rock.

  Now I realize that this is the HERO system, and not the Powers & Perils
  mechanics, but this is one of the reasons that I started converting everything
  over.  It makes it much easier to make these sorts of comparisons.

  Also, Lyndon...could you please resend the Excel spreadsheet as a version 4.0
  sheet?  I only have Lotus 5, and it can only translate Excel 4.0 and earlier.

  His Despicableness,

     Scott Cohan