P&P v2 [Was: Re: Idea bounce]

Choinski, Burt BChoinski at XSERV.BILLERICA-MA.PERITUS.COM
Mon Nov 17 18:17:06 CET 1997

Wout Broere [SMTP:w.broere at CT.TUDELFT.NL]
|| The mechanics are what attracts me to P&P in the first place, even
more than
|| the background, but the combination is nearly excellent. A lot of the
look
|| and feel is in the game mechanics and the process of character
creation and

I agree.  The mechanics have a good deal of influence with the "feel".
This is the major problem I have with using my 2d10 skill stuff in
combat.  As such, we still use a (slightly modified) combat table.

However, there are some clunky mechanics that can be slimmed down or
eliminated.

|| 1) The characters have some Keen abilities, Familiarities and Knacks,
which
|| seem new concepts in the game. Or are they differentations of the
special
|| events/special abilities from p&p v1? From the post on the special
events
|| table it seems not to be the case, but I'm not certain.

Thinking again on this I do like having the special "bonuses" be from
fickle fate -- they seem more "special" that way if you need to actually
roll it, rather than any Joe getting it for his character as well (I had
horrible problems with this in GURPS).

Perhaps the "keen things" can be purchased rolls on the special table.
"Table A" for the pretty nifty ones, or the more expensive "Table B" for
the really nice things.  A player need not pay for any, thus putting
those points elsewhere.

Likewise, a person can take rolls on the "bane" table (as opposed to the
"boon" tables above) in order to get more points for other things.

|| 2) The names of dwarfs, elves and faerries have been changed. Now I
can see
|| who is who from the descriptions, but why the change of names?

Actually, I like the name changes.  The other names seemed too generic,
and the Perilous lands are not a generic world.
   -- Burton

Burton Choinski, Peritus Software Services Inc.
bchoinski at peritus.com