P&P v2 [Was: Re: Idea bounce]

Larry D. Hols crkdface at PCPARTNER.NET
Thu Nov 20 21:46:47 CET 1997

Hallo,

>Well as others have said let's not take pnp2 to AD&D :).  In that AD&D has/had
>billions of supplements and such which drives the cost of the system up.
>That's why I like systems like PNP you can get it all in one box (G)

        Just some information on economics in the industry here....
        For a game to live and prosper, it has to be supported.  Sales of
the core rules will generate enough income to keep the game alive only so
long, then something else has to make money for the line to survive.  Yes,
sales of the core rules will continue after that point, but not in as great
a number, and not enough to warrant continued production.   That means that
more has to be offered in support of the line.
        It is the sale of support materials that keep lines viable so that
the core rules can stay in print for long periods of time.  Many games
introduced on the market die, not because of poor design or terrible sales
of core rules, but because the publisher cannot offer support material on a
regular enough basis to keep revenues up.  AH has the wherewithal to prop
up a system that has sales bottoming out after the initial rush, but that
would be poor business practice to do so.
        So supplements are a necessity.  Adventures, setting detail
expansions, more detail on magic, etc., will be necessary to support the
line.  One part of the proposal AH asked for involved listing possible
future supplements--they wanted this to ensure that there was strong
support planned for the line.
        Supplements are also necessary for building a community of
dedicated players.  Many gamers, particularly those newer to the hobby,
tend to like to talk shop and compare how they run matters differently from
others using the same materials.  They also like to know that they are
playing the game The Way It Was Meant to Be Played, and official support
materials help them achieve this.
        And finally, the scope of a full-blown fantasy game far exceeds
what can be placed in the core rules.  Of necessity, much of what players
are looking for will not fit into the core rules without making those into
a very expensive purchase.

Larry