Character Motivations Example

Choinski, Burt BChoinski at XSERV.BILLERICA-MA.PERITUS.COM
Wed Mar 18 13:01:09 CET 1998

Scott Adams [SMTP:longshot at JAX.FIDONET.ORG]
||"B> I have sent to Wout a PDF file of my character motivations system.
||"B> Feel free to use, abuse or otherwise comment on it.  If you come
up
|| As with most things you've done..I'm impressed..just went on the site
and found
|| it...so its a 3d6 system ok..I didn't look at every entry..but will
likely
|| tomorrow at work.

Thanks.  I have an excell sheet that I used to matrix the directions and
motivations, putting in a weight for each intersection. The sheet then
takes the weights and calculates the die spans (that was a fun coding
task, believe me).

I went originally with 1d6 since EVERYONE has d6's (thus usable for
Shadowrun, Star Wars as well as P&P), but some of the entries are a bit
too choppy, and if I add any more entries things may calculate to a
chance of 0.  So I'm going to re-do the chart to use a 1d1000 roll.

When I have that done, I'll see about making a generic tool out of the
chart. having something that can turn a matrix into die rolls
automatically is too handy for GM's not to have.  I'll send it to Wout
when done.

|| Looks like a good thing to make into a program :)
It couldn't hurt to have a program to just crank out rolls on a single
sheet. :)

||"B> Now, why was the healer so ineffective? The Healer priest -- "To
|| "B> Protect Belief" (Why? "To Destroy Life") This twisted man,
worships a
|| This one intrigues me ...to destroy life somewhat contradicts the
healing
|| aspect...but if you do it sorta the way your doing then it can
work...very very
|| interesting twist there.

That's what I thought.  It fit in perfectly with the idea that the
Healer could no longer do his magic, since the goddess withdrew her
gifts from him.

This group runs again this friday.  The last game was spent getting back
to caldo, closing up shop and moving stuff to Djanesborg.  At the start
of this game they will begin to settle in and I will start trying to
tangle them into the motivation threads I have now.
       -- Burton

Burton Choinski, Peritus Software Services Inc.
bchoinski at peritus.com