Armies of Djanesborg and the Firazi

Burton & Linda Choinski linna at NETCOM.COM
Thu May 7 18:21:31 CEST 1998

Armies of Djanesborg

NOTE: In order to determine the quality and equipment of these armies
(for the mass-combat system I uploaded) I have used the following
assumptions:

   1) The "standard" army unit is 100 men.
   2) Smaller "Half-units" of 50 men may be used in some cases and
      are marked with a (1/2) -- TS will already be figured in.
   3) Most army units will be "average" -- presumaby some are green,
      some are seasoned.  Units noted as "elite" will have a quality
      of "veteran".
   4) If a culture s constantly fighting (war, raiding, etc), all
      troop qualities wil be raised by 1 level.
   5) Weapon types and missile weapons are based on the notes in
      the back of the culture book.  Armor types are also based on
      those notes, or the pictures on the back cover.
   6) If special weapon skills (i.e. the Novholm archers) are indicated,
      TS will be increased by +1 for each bonus.  All bonuses will be
      noted.
   7) Horse-weight usually equals armor weight.
   8) Militia armor is lighter than army armor, minimum of L.

Changes to mass combat codes:
Looking again at the codes, they are not very useful and don't show the
unit type like a wargame might.  The following may be more useful:

"XYZ" --
   For X:
       L = light
       M = medium
       H = heavy

       If weapons and armor differ, use two letters, weapons then armor.

   For Y:
       F = Footman
       P = Pikeman
       A = Archer/Crossbowman
       S = Spearman/slingman
       C = Cavalry
       CA = Cavalry Archers

   For Z (optional)
       -I = Irregular

   Quality should be in (parenthesis)
      (E) Elite
      (V) Veteran
      (S) Seasoned
      (A) Average
      (G) Green
      (R) Raw

-----------------------------------
COMMENTS: Cultural weapons apper to be axes and heavy swords (heavy
weapons) and spear (+1 archery).  Looking at the picture on the back
appears to be medium armor.

King of Djanesborg:
15x  HMS (A)   = TS600
15x  HMF (A)   = TS500
 2x  HMC (A)   = TS700
30x  HLS-I (A) = TS335
30x  HLF-I (A) = TS265

Count of Loch Svear:
 2x  HMS (V)   = TS900
 2x  HMF (V)   = TS750
 4x  HMC (A)   = TS700
30x  HLS-I (A) = TS335
30x  HLF-I (A) = TS265

Baron of Novholm:
 2x  HMA (A)   = TS900
 2x  HMF (A)   = TS500
 1x  HMCA (A)  = TS1100
 5x  HLA-I (A) = TS535
 5x  HLS-I (A) = TS335
10x  HLF-I (A) = TS265

Baron of Sokkvabbek:
12x  HMF (A)   = TS500
 8x  HLS-I (A) = TS335
 8x  HLF-I (A) = TS265
 6x  MLS-I (A) = TS265
 6x  MLF-I (A) = TS200

Vikings:
15x  MLF (S)   = TS360
20x  MLS-I (A) = TS265
20x  MLF-I (A) = TS200

What this all means: The Baron of Novholm has 2 units of Heavy Weapon/
Medium armor archers with a TS of 900 each.  If both units fight
in a battle they add 1800 to the force TS and count as 200 archers for
archer superiority calculations.

Firazi Armies:
Firazi use heavy axes, longbows and spears.  Armor is light.  Due to
their constant fighting, nearly all units are seasoned. Since some use
spear and some use longbow, I am splitting the difference.

The Esda:
10x  HLA (A) = TS600
15x  HLA (S) = TS720

The Bieva:
20x  HLA (S) = TS720

The Riala:
10x  HLA (A) = TS600
10x  HLA (S) = TS720

The Duera:
15x  HLA (S) = TS720

The Fradala:
10x  HLA (S) = TS720

The Gralana:
10x  HLA (A) = TS600

The Kona:
40x  HLA (S) = TS720

The Suadan:
30x  HLA (S) = TS720

The Bauvan:
26x  HLA (S) = TS720

The Kailaran:
24x  HLA (S) = TS720

The Mortiti:
12x  HLA (S) = TS720

The Aliti:
 8x  HLA (S) = TS720

The Berlita:
46x  HLA (S) = TS720

The Pometa:
34x  HLA (S) = TS720

The Shieta:
20x  HLA (S) = TS720

The Stiera:
17x  HLA (S) = TS720

The Buera:
13x  HLA (S) = TS720

The Morden:
56x  HLA (S) = TS720

The Puessen:
48x  HLA (S) = TS720

The Vandamen:
28x  HLA (S) = TS720

The Nethagen:
 8x  HLA (S) = TS720

The Thurani:
24x  HLA (S) = TS720

The Larbani:
21x  HLA (S) = TS720

The Goisni:
15x  HLA (S) = TS720

Final Notes:
Looking at the force compositions, my players may have really screwed
The Djani, or at least the Novholm area -- there is so much native
fire power that can be brought against them that thimgs will go bad
for a while, until the pirate forces and Loch Svear forces can be
brought in.  Given the force compositions, and how I relayed the battle
of that town to my players, Only 1 unit of the Larbani was used against
two Djani Militia -- I'll have to recalculate casualties.

The next few game weeks will show serious incursions. :p
    -- Burton