Potential For Public Domain Release of the Rules

Robert Hanson rhanson at BLAST.NET
Wed May 5 18:15:55 CEST 1999

| What I would like to see is P&P revived.

As would a lot of us.

| The last recourse is to produce an unauthorized / unofficial second edition,
| which of course would be derivative of the first edition.  And I am
| receiving staunch opposition to that here.

The problem is "second edition".  To get around the problem, you need to first not call your new game P&P or even hint that there is any assosiation.  Then you need to be able to prove that it is not a derivitive of the game in a court of law if need be.

There might be a way around all of this, but you may need to be a little sneaky... not to mention that the resulting game might stray from what Powers & Perils is.

But on a brighter note, it sounds like fun to build a brand new GNU role playing game, and I for one would be interested in helping out... but someone needs to take a leadership role in this to determine the direction of creation.

| I guess my dream is of seeing a net version, completely free, of P&P.
| But, once again - that is an impossibility.

Of P&P YES... of a game of our own creation NO.

| It's just such a shame that I game that I personally love will be lost to
| the annals of history because of the niggling copyright holders.

It would not be the first time.  A friend of mine had to take his own additional rules for "Star Frontiers" off his page because they threatened to take him to court.  Silly world, but what choice do we have with that!