Potential For Public Domain Release of the Rules

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Thu May 6 05:09:17 CEST 1999

At 02:08 PM 5/4/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Yeah, but what about a completely revised version, which is very similar to
>the original?  (Preserving the original spirit, perhaps even the same basic
>mechanics, but revised completely).

No one has domain over the basic rpg concepts like dice...character
generation but they do on certain methods and names.  Thus the speciale
vents of firesnake for example would infrienge but if you made that ohh say
a Water Dolphin or somethin git owuld not.  Its a fine line though :)

>Or, are we more interested in nostalgia?  The rules themselves are slightly
>dated, but in my opinion, provide the kind of detail that I demand in a
>role-playing game...

I'm happy with the rules myself.  And of course a GM would have domain over
any house rules.  Where pnp really needs info is support rules (as they say
which would be fine to publish) like co
like god info and such which pnp is lacking :)

>I know that there's got to be some way to achieve this goal without rousing
>their ire...

Yes if you just word things a certain way.  If all else fails ask a lawyer
and he might be able to explain it.