On Creation and such spells

Maouse maouse at FULTON-NET.COM
Fri Dec 29 20:33:06 CET 2000

Ok, on further reading I've come to the following conclusion -

1.

All spells which say they can be made permanent and don't describe how to
do it need an Enhancement spell to be cast on the item to be made permanent.

Automata need this.
Inanimate Creations don't and can't be made permanent this way.
Creations need this.
Purifications need this.
Fascination uses a duration limit to "kill"/keep the thrall.

Any others?

2.

Innates can be imparted at a cost of 3x casting.
Spell abilities (such as a single spell) can be "taught" into a creation at
a cost of 3x casting.
Skill abilities (such as EL80 armorer) can be "taught" into a creation at a
cost of 3x casting.

Please keep in mind that that is at least an ADDITIONAL 30 mana to be cast,
and that you would need to do this all at once when casting the spell.
Needless there are not a lot of EL 10 creations running around with
multiple special abilities (at +90 mana each, for a total of 120 mana for
one creation with an innate or ability!).

3.

There are two ways to approach creations - one is "randomly" and perhaps
more fun. The second is to allow the person to create anything from their
imagination. These Imaginary creatures can NOT be given innate powers
without cost, but innate abilities they may retain (such as wings to fly
with or move rates of a fay horse or unicorn). This means that created
dragons do not breath fire unless you pay the extra mana. It also means
they can't be given any abilities or knowledge the character lacks. This
would appear to be the logical limit set on this spell. If the random
approach is taken, you may allow innate powers to be free(and no others may
be added, ie. I want to make a firesnake, ok... I want to make a firesnake
who can use killing light, not ok). If the non-random is taken then any
abilities or powers can be imparted, but only those imparted are gained.
So, yes you could clone someone to the best of your knowledge (if you never
saw them naked you may not know about that mole on their arse, though).

4.

It would appear they know languages. Other abilities and skills can be
given at the aforementioned rate (so EL 80 armorer is do-able at 3x cost if
the character is an EL 80 armorer to begin with).

5.

Recast is not being used, permanent magics enhancement is. The same idea
can apply, though... I'll make you permanent tomorrow... sure I will...

6.

Size differences would be either random (in the case of random creations)
or specific. In each case, innates are to be done as outlined above. Random
would create a creature the caster knows about directly from the book (use
of size modifiers is up to the GM, and please remember the HP limit of this
spell). Specific casting can create a 2x or mountain sized if you want. Of
course it still will only have so many HP.

Additional notes:
In all cases of random creation and specific, NAV is as specified in the
book or up to the imagination of the character (say he wants to make a
crystal or steel dragon? NAV is up to GM, but should be allowed to be above
0).

Natural Materials can only be derived from random creations. No
specifically making a moonrose monster(with say 100 blossoms) to harvest,
you power mongering schmucks! You can create it, but unless you have the
innates of a moonrose you can't imbed their power into the creation, so the
aforementioned monster would look and smell nice, and possibly die in the
sunlight, but would not up any stats or otherwise give benifits.

well, hope this has been as insightful for you as it has been for me.

-Marcel aka maouse

ps. has anyone noticed how well this spell lends itself to the shamanic
spell restoration - make a souless(by default creations are souless) and
mindless body for a friend, attach their soul to it and whalla! instant
body upgrade (to say a "dragon")... ok perhaps I've played a bit too much
Cyberpunk in my life... and you might have to add some contingent control
spells depending on your GM (but I would allow it straight out if done
right). So all you wimpy +0,+1,+1,+1 mages that want a +2,+2,+2,+2 body,
get ye spells a workin'. Plus, you can always cast wards to recast and
recreate/connect a brand new you if you ever "die". (I would note that soul
destruction can cause you to die and leave behind the empty vessel for
someone else to use).

Ah, the flesh, that vessel of the soul, so often I have peered through it's
ruby lenses and taken in that which is fleeting.