P&P Snider Q&A

Alex Koponen akoponen at MOSQUITONET.COM
Tue Feb 1 14:46:01 CET 2000

Hello all,
Back in 1983 I bought a copy of P&P, spent a few weeks studying it in my
free time and
then introduced it to my gaming group (after I understood it). [While fairly
simple to teach
or to be taught, P&P is a pain to learn on ones own.]
 After a year or two of play I had acquired a number of questions about the
game
and sent a huge (16 page) letter of questions and suggestions to Richard
Snider. He was
kind enough to answer most of the questions. I subsequently wrote 2 or 3
more letters
with some questions and more suggestions. 1 or 2 of these were answered
before Hereos
Magazine folded.
 Thus I have a fair bit of semi-official errata that I will share with the
list. This week
I will do the questions that were answered. Later I will post my
suggestions.
Answers in brackets [ ] are handwritten on my question (probably preliminary
answers),
the other answers were typewritten on Avalon Hill stationary. (Typos and
all).

Alex

Q. Book 1 p.11 Innate Powers - Is the MEL the same as trained MEL (if
trained) or
can you have a character with MEL6 trained ability, MEL4 in one innate
power, and
MEL3 in another innate power?
A. [No, yes may have different MELs]
Book 1 Page 11 - As the game stands, the innate power MEL is seperate from
any other
MEL. If you have power drawn from 2 or more sources, you have 2 or more
MEL's.

Q. Mana Reading and Mana Sensing - Base Mana Cost = 0.
How do you get experience to increase your MEL?
A. [1d10 MEP/use up to 1/day]
MANA READING OR SENSING - A mistake of mine. As a solution, give those with
this
talent 1D10 MEP each time that the power is used and mana is detected - up
to a
maximum of once per day. (Actually, MEL isn't all that appropriate because
is the mana is
present, and the power is used, it is sensed or read.)

Q. Please make clear - Is initial Current Ability = Native Ability? I
presume so.
A. [yes] Initial Current Ability = Native Ability except for those who have
Supernatural Attributes.

Q. Is 25 the minimum Native Ability in I for those with Intellectual Power,
and in Em
for those with Empathic Power?
A. [yes] 25 is the minimum as written. Supernatural Attributes are modified
in the
Book of Tables to lower this.

Q. Supernatural Agility - increase in Current Ability should use 16 not 19
and end up
with Current Ability = 41.
A. [*] In Supernatural Agility the formula is indeed incorrect.

Q. For a character with Supernatural Willpower rating of 30. Does their MEL
in the
Evil Eye go up seperately with disease, paralysis, and death or is the
experience lumped
together under 'Evil Eye'?
A. [MEL lump under 'Evil Eye'. Expertise is seperate] Evil Eye MEL is one
factor.
Expertise varies for each talent.

I had a page long suggestion with examples regarding Supernatural
Attributes. The book
of Tables changes preempted the suggestion.
More later - Next 'Natural Magicians'