Horse FP

The Choinski Family choinski at TIAC.NET
Thu Oct 5 00:53:32 CEST 2000

> When we had four (competition level show) horses they went through 1+
> (50-80lb.) bale of hay per day and 4 to 8 lbs. of grain per day. Divide by 4
> and you get 12-20 lbs. of hay and 1 to 2 lbs. of grain per (1000 lb.) horse
> per day.

Well, this is pretty close then.  Again, I'm not picking on your numbers...I
should probably also check with my sister-in-law how much she feeds her
hourses (just riding, no show stuff).

But, depending on the weights of your horses, your numbers and mine may not
be off all that much.

While I'm here to bounce numbers off you, another source I read (the
'pasture FAQ') suggested a rough thumbnail of 1 acre of pasture per 1000# of
grazing animal.  That seems kinda low, unless we are talking a controlled
pasture field with specifically grown, modern grass breeds, not wide open
wilds like you might find in P&P cultures.  Any comment on this?
    -- Burton