Horse Feed

The Choinski Family choinski at TIAC.NET
Sat Oct 7 23:55:44 CEST 2000

> Well I got inspired to do some research regarding feeding horses. Here
> are the (modern) results:
> Working horses require 1 lb. of grain and 1.1 lb. hay per 100 lbs. of horse
> each day.

I would think this would apply to warhorses, at least on battle footing.  It
could probably be reduced when not doing anything, obviously.

> Riding horses can reduce grain to 0.8 lb. if hay is increased to 1.4 lbs.
> These numbers are halved when the horse is idle.

Do you think this applies to a horse used for travelling each day, or is
this not considered heavy :work" for a riding horse (not a constant gallop,
but the standard 30 mile/10 hours horse rate (based on PMR 32)

> Horses also require 10-12 gallons of water and around 1.8 oz. of salt per
> day.

I hadn't thought about the salt.  The water could get expensive in some
regions. :)

> 1.5 to 3+ acres pasturage per horse are also required.

Is this pasturage just to feed the horse, or feed and exersize?  Also, is
this pasture self-renewing (i.e. by the time the horse finishes one area,
another areas has grown back) or is it limited time?

> If just used for casual (a few hours/week) riding, horses can get by with
> very little or no grain.

Not likely with my players, on some god-long jaunt. :)
    -- Burton