Movement rules

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Mon Oct 9 03:18:33 CEST 2000

At 03:22 PM 10/8/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I have always wondered about movement in P&P
>A horse with move 24 can go 24 miles a day on road or grass?
>But a horse can run that far in an 1/2 hour if it could maintain a run
>that long
>So that means it actually is walking lazily or grazing often!
>
>I am sure they based the moves on a long term average
>What we need is a rule using stamina and constitution that controls long
>runs
>There may be a rule that already covers 2x moves for horses at risk of
>death
>But that doesnt cover say a need to be a few miles away in a short time
>
>Combat movement:
>Speed in mile per hour = (movement rate * 10 feet / 12 sec turn)*3600
>sec/hour*1mile/5280 feet = .57 * movement rate
>This says a horse moves at 13.7 mph which is 1/3 of a run(37mph in 1
>mile race)
>A human 10 then is 5.7 miles a hour which is 2x a normal walk
>And 1/3 of a 4 minute mile(15mph), sprints exceed 1/4(23mph)
>Does anyone remember marathon running speeds?
>26.1 miles in 2:36:09 for Kona Marathon (10mph)
>5km(3.1mile) in 18:58(9.8mph)
>Olympic marathon 11.8mph by Abebe Bikila 1964
>
>BUT P&P daily move equals movement rate in miles per 12 hours which is
>very slow
>They must be stopping for munchies alot or sight seeing
>
>Movement types from above data:
>walk=1/2 move, jog=move, long run= 2x move, short run=3x move, sprint=4x
>move
>walks can be done for very long durations
>jogs ???
>with long runs of 2 hours being dangerous as marathon runners are in bad
>shape at finish
>short runs are 4 minute area with minimal chance of damage
>sprints are 1 minute area
>
>As characters are exceptional by definition they should be able to
>perform at olympic levels
>Maybe sprints up to stamina bonus minutes and then chance of damage
>based on con?
>Run duration based on stamina with rolls to determine when you must slow
>down or be damaged?
>
>Thats all for now, maybe someone else has some ideas here?

I actually just use the stats given and vary depending on many factors.  Yes a
horse could go more than its movement rate by running but would be dead
litterally from the strain and sheer constant rate.  Thus this is why they do
12 hour movement horses and people do have to reset every so often.  Many
horses get things caught in shoes and thus have to be taken out.  The
wegith of
a rider isn[t much for a strong horse but it can also slow things down in some
degrees.  Then you have to figure out the person is tired from riding in a
saddle all day.  You also have weather and terrain.  A forest horse is
going to
be lousy in tundra and would be a bit slower moving.  Whereas a tundra horse
might be a bit faster in a plains area.  Etc.  etc.

So it goes down to as most does in games what the GM needs and feels.