Powers & Perils Meets Harn Combat

Maouse maouse at FULTON-NET.COM
Tue Oct 10 15:25:42 CEST 2000

As long as we're on the topic of "number" of areas, let us not forget the
SHIELD HIT.  This is a VERY important hit if the attacker has a HIGH WSB
and/or SB.  If you can break a shield it becomes useless from that point
on, and then the whole tide of combat changes.  I REALIZED a long time ago
that a (magical) metal shield is MY best friend...

As far as going into HARN (??? never heard of it and it sounds way more
ocnfusing than it needs to be, what with five modifiers before you even
choose location... sheesh, that'll speed things up - NOT): I would think
that the easier thing to do would be to add a critical hit location roll on
these hits... ie. make them critical hits with a second roll on a location
table - IF NEEDED.  ie. a critical hit that does more than ten points of
damage should roll on this (minor little 9 and under criticals should not
necessarily cut limbs off, etc... IMHO).  You could use the critical table
from ICE's slash table or something and just roll a percentile + damage or
something (avoid the 66 total at all costs, lol).

Just a thought.. as opposed to making the whole thing more elaborate, just
make the critical results MORE critical (although the damage usually speaks
for itself, I too would like to hack characters... err monsters to tiny
bits...).

-maouse