New game

Paul L. Ming pming at HOME.COM
Sat Sep 2 10:22:01 CEST 2000

Hiya.

> Well, I have just joined the P&P list a little while ago.

    Welcome aboard!  Oh, and this list tends to be a bit quiet...so don't
panic if you don't get any mail from it for weeks. :-)

>I haven't played in
> a game yet so I would like to now exactly how the game works.

    Oh, is that all? ;-)  [yes, that was sarcasm].  P&P is a rather
expansive game.  There are some basic rules/ways of doing things. Some of
the general points:

    1.  It is a skill based game; for a 'class' you either cast magic or you
don't.
    2.  Magic is quite powerful.
    3.  The magic system is awesome, imho.  It is 'point based', but each
spell a MU knows is treated more or less like a skill; you only get better
in that particular spell if you cast it. Magic is devided into 'alignments';
wizards choose one 'alignment' (also called an Orientation in P&P), and the
cost to cast and learn spells of differing alignments is greater/lesser
based on this.
    4. There are only two "Levels" to concider; CEL and MEL (Combat
Experience Level and Magic Experience Level).  You gain experience in the
game (mainly by combat; but, as you will see, DM's of P&P pretty much
add/subtract from the rules rather extensivly...and XP is one of those areas
I think have a wide range of differenced).  As your CEL increases, your
combat base abilities increase; as your MEL increases (if you are a MU), you
get better at casting spells.
    5.  Combat can be deadly and quick.  Your character has X amount of
HitPoints (generic, not 'locational' or anything like that), and they only
increase when your characteristics increase (Strength, Stamina and
Constitution).  Typically, a character will have around 15 to 25hp.  The
most important combat 'adjustment' that a character will generally have is
his/her EL in the weapon used (Oh, EL is Expertise Level; how good you are
at a skill).
    6.  Monsters are...er, 'wierd'.  No standard fantasy "Orc", for example.
You get some cool baddies, that most players have NEVER encountered in your
RPGing career...trust me.  (Oh, dragons, demons, giants, goblins, vampires
and all that are represented...and are FRICKIN' tough, all things
concidered...well, goblins aren't bad).
    7.  Overall, the DM's importance in the game is reinforced.   Meaning,
the game specifically 'gives' the DM more power/importance than the players.
IMNSHO, a *VERY VERY GOOD THING*!  Less rules lawyering results when, in the
rules, it says something like "Of course, the game master should modify or
outright dissalow any of these powers he feels would upset the balance or
tone of his campaign." :-)  It's always a good thing for the rules to
reinforce the DM's power/responsability.
    8. The DM has to know the game like the back of his/her hand.  Players
also need to know what they are doing.  Once this is accomplished, P&P runs
quite smoothly.
    9.  There are a LOT of optional rules/ways of doing things built into
the system. Very cool and easy to use/not use.

    I think I've covered the basics.  Anyone think of something I missed or
that they would like to add?

^_^

Paul L. Ming