New game

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Sat Sep 2 23:54:05 CEST 2000

At 01:22 AM 9/2/00 -0700, you wrote:

>    Welcome aboard!  Oh, and this list tends to be a bit quiet...so don't
>panic if you don't get any mail from it for weeks. :-)

Wheres that pen we need to dorp and make a noise...

>    Oh, is that all? ;-)  [yes, that was sarcasm].  P&P is a rather
>expansive game.  There are some basic rules/ways of doing things. Some of
>the general points:
>
>    1.  It is a skill based game; for a 'class' you either cast magic or you
>don't.

 That's where I  expanded it and always further subdivied it.   I don't think
any GM
who played the system has stuck to just those 2 forms.  But its a good
point to
start off compared to say 30 templates for 30 different classes.  That
tends to
bogs things down.  At least 2 branches allow the GM to to tinker.

>    2.  Magic is quite powerful.

 Once established for sure...though as with all the other systems a
starting MU
can have numerous 0 or 1s in spells.  But that's typical for any system.

>    3.  The magic system is awesome, imho.  It is 'point based', but each
>spell a MU knows is treated more or less like a skill; you only get better
>in that particular spell if you cast it. Magic is devided into 'alignments';
>wizards choose one 'alignment' (also called an Orientation in P&P), and the
>cost to cast and learn spells of differing alignments is greater/lesser
>based on this.

 YEah its the best magic system I've seen out there in the numerous rpgs I run
and play.  The hard part for most new players is the formulae if your not
used to it and then its pretty easy after that.

>    4. There are only two "Levels" to concider; CEL and MEL (Combat
>Experience Level and Magic Experience Level).  You gain experience in the
>game (mainly by combat; but, as you will see, DM's of P&P pretty much
>add/subtract from the rules rather extensivly...and XP is one of those areas
>I think have a wide range of differenced).  As your CEL increases, your
>combat base abilities increase; as your MEL increases (if you are a MU), you
>get better at casting spells.

 Yeah where as most systems have like "get 20 XP for picking up a wench in a
bar in a role playing session".  Its up to the GM in this game.

>    5.  Combat can be deadly and quick.  Your character has X amount of
>HitPoints (generic, not 'locational' or anything like that), and they only
>increase when your characteristics increase (Strength, Stamina and
>Constitution).  Typically, a character will have around 15 to 25hp.  The
>most important combat 'adjustment' that a character will generally have is
>his/her EL in the weapon used (Oh, EL is Expertise Level; how good you are
>at a skill).

 Well its a deadly system but I found Hawkmoon to be the most deadly system
in terms of its combat.  I ran a adventure years ago and in the first hour
lost
7 just
from a simple random encounter and wasn't TRYING to.   Due to the combat
system and then theres something like Top secret another hard combat system.
But
PNP is not as gritty in terms of 'instant kills'.

>    6.  Monsters are...er, 'wierd'.  No standard fantasy "Orc", for example.
>You get some cool baddies, that most players have NEVER encountered in your
>RPGing career...trust me.  (Oh, dragons, demons, giants, goblins, vampires
>and all that are represented...and are FRICKIN' tough, all things
>concidered...well, goblins aren't bad).

 And a very nice creature creation system as well.  For varation.
   Just be careful of those cows in Fomoria man they are tough :)
(inside joke)

>    7.  Overall, the DM's importance in the game is reinforced.   Meaning,
>the game specifically 'gives' the DM more power/importance than the players.
>IMNSHO, a *VERY VERY GOOD THING*!  Less rules lawyering results when, in the
>rules, it says something like "Of course, the game master should modify or
>outright dissalow any of these powers he feels would upset the balance or
>tone of his campaign." :-)  It's always a good thing for the rules to
>reinforce the DM's power/responsability.

 Yeah the rules are short and to the point.  Unlike say Chartmaster (err
rolemaster)
where a player can dig up a rule from 4.7.sub b chart 2 to claim he should've
gotten
that extra 20 points of damage.  And the GM just looks dazed from the
amount of
data.   The players pretty much know all that the GM knows.  At least mine
did.
The only thing they didn't know were variant and home rules of course.

>    8. The DM has to know the game like the back of his/her hand.  Players
>also need to know what they are doing.  Once this is accomplished, P&P runs
>quite smoothly.

 This goes for any system though :)

>    9.  There are a LOT of optional rules/ways of doing things built into
>the system. Very cool and easy to use/not use.

 Yep.  Not to mention the awesome couple of expanssions like the Perillous
Lands.
'

>    I think I've covered the basics.  Anyone think of something I missed or
>that they would like to add?

>Paul L. Ming

 The only thing PNP has against it in some ways is basic info that some
systems
have like Ship info (boat, crew, size, etc).  An important area is the Gods
and
that is somewhat lacking yet it leaves it up to the GM to self determine which
is good in many ways.