Experience option

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Fri Sep 15 03:50:07 CEST 2000

At 06:23 PM 9/13/00 +0000, you wrote:
>Hey!  I'm actually gonna start up a game here, afetr way too many years!
>Woo-hoo!

Cool.  I wanna play.  Come to florida and run it :)  I've NOT played but in
only 2 games
which sucks.  I've only run pnp the rest of the times.  So I'm eager to just
play for
a change.  Though I do play in some ways in the games I run (like Xian) :)

>With regards to "going over the limits", I was thinking of taking a page
>from "RuneQuest" with regards to "HeroQuesting".
>
>Basically, characters may visit the elemental planes, upper world, etc.  In
>the outermost regions ("CL1"), ALL attributes (and skill maximums) are
>reduced by 50%.  Monsters use their same stats up here (Yes, it is dangerous
>:).

That's how I deal with it.  Upper world is normal no real big changes to stats
and
the such especially monsters.  So you go on your own risk.

>Any expe
rience towards attributes gained up here may be applied toward
>increasing their current attributes past their current maximum by a
>multiplier of x0.5.

Never really considered that but something to consider.

>Going deeper subjects you to harsher penalties (1/2, 1/3, etc) but allows a
>further maximum.
>
>For example, Joe Kazi with a native S of 20 and a x4 multiple manages to
>find a way to the outer regions of the lower world.  His maxed-out 80 S is
>now considered to be a 60, with all the effects that entails.  Any
>experience gained in this region may be applied to increasing his current
>ability up to a new maximum of 4.5 (or 90).  The original multiple of x4 is
>kept on the sheet so you know his "middle world" origin.

That's a good way to weigh the costs.  But I always tended to use normal stats
since
if you go to those other worlds at least as far as i read nothing should
change
so its
up to the GM and the particulars of the situation.  So basically he gets
'stronger'
when he goes to the lower world and as soon as he gets to the middle he loses
that str?  That's fine.  Just metaphysically it can be explained in some ways.

>outside of the mortal realm even C and Ap may be worked on, assuming one can
>perform appropriate tasks that make sense for the training.

Yep.