Archery question

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Thu Apr 19 04:36:31 CEST 2001

At 12:31 PM 4/18/01 -0400, you wrote:
>In my most recent game I have used the correction that (Scott?) got from Mr.
>Snider.  This is the fact that the bow factor determined is the row on the
>combat table used.
>
>Granted, one can improve your ability to hit by increasing your bow skill.
>Presumably targets can use their shields and shield skill to add to the
>roll, if aware.
>
>The problem comes with high-DCV creatures.   Take two creatures, identical
>in size. One with DCV 3, the other with DCV 15...is it reasonable to assume
>that one can hit both with equal difficulty?  Hell, if I'm joe peasant, OCV
>2 I'll haul a bow around so I'm assured of a hit vs. high DCV characters.
>
>What do you all do about this?
>          -- Burton

It was alex about snider.

 As to the row rule I fully agree with it.  A bow is just a weapon that you
point and
click..err..release :)    There is a major factor of strength (but mainly used
in terms
of being able to USE the weapon (pulling the string/locks)).  Once the
projectile leaves its
home weapon its not up to you.  So OCV doesn't or shouldn't matter.  A better
factor
if you were to determine that would be Agility or even Dex not the OCVfactors
or skills
like dodge or such.

Now in Melee where strength and combat experience plays a more of a role then
OCV
differences does mean alot.

So basically your asking if OCV should be a factor?  I saw no not in missile
combat.
Not even in magic 'projectiles' like fireballs.