Powers & Perils Character System

Matijs van Zuijlen Matijs.van.Zuijlen at XS4ALL.NL
Tue Aug 7 20:50:40 CEST 2001

On 2001.08.05 15:20:05 +0200 Floyd Resler wrote:
> In the grand tradition of the AD&D Character System (CharSys - see
> http://charsys.com to learn more), I have started working on a Powers &
> Perils version (PPCharSys).  However, before I put too much effort in it,
> I want to know if there would be a strong need for such an application.

There are at least two P&P character generators already (which can be found
at Wout's site, I guess). I'm not satisfied with either of them, and so
have been working on my own. It's a version for Gnome on Linux. Although I
probably would not be interested in a finished product (no Windows, no
Mac), I would be interested in thoughts or code on how to handle the
picking of skills (and, to a lesser extent, spells), especially with the
skills where you get other skills for free. That includes weapon families.
What I'm looking for here is a way to let me pick the skills I want and let
the program figure out how much that would cost in terms of expertise
points, while being smart enough to know that, say, if I want Assassin and
Swimming, I only have to pay for Assassin, and maybe add some if I want
swimming at a higher level.

Matijs.