SKill Improvement

Choinski, Burton Burton.Choinski at MATRIXONE.COM
Tue Aug 7 21:45:10 CEST 2001

In a somewhat related item, I have been getting a bit annoyed at some of the
excessive math required for skills. The end of combat is usually a pencil
and eraser fest as learned points are allocated.  In an idea to streamline
this process, while keeping the overall idea intact:

   1) Skill increase multiples are divided by 5.  Skills will have the
nearest whole factor for their NEL.

Thus A skill formerly at NEL x7 is now at x1.  A skill formally at NEL x15
is now at x3. Increases are still handeled the same way (a skill now rated
at x2 will take 10 marks to get to EL5 from EL4).

   2) After combat, player may roll 1d6 per CDF of the creature he
encountered.  On any roll of 5 or 6 he gets a mark.  Skill increases when
the needed number of marks are reached.

I plan to bounce this idea off one of my players tonight (not in play, doing
his Perilous Lands game based on a different system).

A possible option to this is if excess marks may carry over toward the next
level, or if they are lost at the EL transition.

For non-combat skills, roll 1d6 and gain a mark if you roll anything other
than a 1.  Use of such skills in a combat situation allows for 2 dice to be
rolled.
       -- Burton

Burton Choinski
Principle Software Engineer, Quality Engineering
email: burton.choinski at matrixone.com

phone: 978-322-2135
fax  : 978-452-5764

MatrixOne, Inc.
Two Executive Drive
Chelmsford, Ma 01824
www.matrixone.com

The First in Intelligent Collaborative Commerce