On Creation and such spells

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Thu Jan 4 06:04:52 CET 2001

At 08:33 PM 12/29/00 +0100, you wrote:

>All spells which say they can be made permanent and don't describe how to
>do it need an Enhancement spell to be cast on the item to be made permanent.

Correct.

>Any others?

I've felt you can make virtually any spell like fire ball pernament through
the
pernament
magics.  Say a ward in a cave or a staff of fireball.

>2.
>Innates can be imparted at a cost of 3x casting.
>Spell abilities (such as a single spell) can be "taught" into a creation at
>a cost of 3x casting.
>Skill abilities (such as EL80 armorer) can be "taught" into a creation at a
>cost of 3x casting.

Sounds reasonable...

>Please keep in mind that that is at least an ADDITIONAL 30 mana to be cast,
>and that you would need to do this all at once when casting the spell.
>Needless there are not a lot of EL 10 creations running around with
>multiple special abilities (at +90 mana each, for a total of 120 mana for
>one creation with an innate or ability!).

Yeppers.

>3.
>There are two ways to approach creations - one is "randomly" and perhaps
>more fun. The second is to allow the person to create anything from their
>imagination. These Imaginary creatures can NOT be given innate powers
>without cost, but innate abilities they may retain (such as wings to fly
>with or move rates of a fay horse or unicorn). This means that created
>dragons do not breath fire unless you pay the extra mana. It also means
>they can't be given any abilities or knowledge the character lacks. This
>would appear to be the logical limit set on this spell. If the random
>approach is taken, you may allow innate powers to be free(and no others may
>be added, ie. I want to make a firesnake, ok... I want to make a firesnake
>who can use killing light, not ok). If the non-random is taken then any
>abilities or powers can be imparted, but only those imparted are gained.
>So, yes you could clone someone to the best of your knowledge (if you never
>saw them naked you may not know about that mole on their arse, though).

I thought the 1 aibility was free...hmmm...oh well

>4.
>It would appear they know languages. Other abilities and skills can be
>given at the aforementioned rate (so EL 80 armorer is do-able at 3x cost if
>the character is an EL 80 armorer to begin with).

Yep.

>5.
>Recast is not being used, permanent magics enhancement is. The same idea
>can apply, though... I'll make you permanent tomorrow... sure I will...

Then theres the problem of dispell effects.  A non-perm might be easier to
dispell
but a pernament one should not be common sense wise but no rules show this.

>6.
>Size differences would be either random (in the case of random creations)
>or specific. In each case, innates are to be done as outlined above. Random
>would create a creature the caster knows about directly from the book (use
>of size modifiers is up to the GM, and please remember the HP limit of this
>spell). Specific casting can create a 2x or mountain sized if you want. Of
>course it still will only have so many HP.

Well the created thing would be the size of normals.  ie a normal horse,
a normal firesnake.  Created a 10x30feet wide firesnake would cost extra to
me.

>Additional notes:
>In all cases of random creation and specific, NAV is as specified in the
>book or up to the imagination of the character (say he wants to make a
>crystal or steel dragon? NAV is up to GM, but should be allowed to be above

Or a firesnake of silk and then kill him if you really need some nice
clothing!

>ps. has anyone noticed how well this spell lends itself to the shamanic
>spell restoration - make a souless(by default creations are souless) and
>mindless body for a friend, attach their soul to it and whalla! instant
>body upgrade (to say a "dragon")... ok perhaps I've played a bit too much
>Cyberpunk in my life... and you might have to add some contingent control
>spells depending on your GM (but I would allow it straight out if done
>right). So all you wimpy +0,+1,+1,+1 mages that want a +2,+2,+2,+2 body,
>get ye spells a workin'. Plus, you can always cast wards to recast and
>recreate/connect a brand new you if you ever "die". (I would note that soul
>destruction can cause you to die and leave behind the empty vessel for
>someone else to use).

Body snatching I would for sure limit.  I think my friendly gods would
intervene and
get one of their followers to hunt you down ....that's their domain creation
and
soul stuff :)

>Ah, the flesh, that vessel of the soul, so often I have peered through it's
>ruby lenses and taken in that which is fleeting.

:)