On Creation and such spells

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Tue Jan 9 06:08:23 CET 2001

At 03:44 PM 1/4/01 +0100, you wrote:

>-well, with this particular spell there "should be" no dispelling it. it
>specifically states it is a physical creation. essentially from what I
>understand, you take part of the astral plane and shape it, then make it
>present on the middle world. Of course it has no soul and is purely a
>magical being is also in the description. Perhaps a "dispell-permanancy" at
>a level higher than perm cast, and then a dispell at a higher el than the
>creation el would dispell it. But it would also get MEL+EL as MDV in both
>cases. Both arguements can be made (to be able to dispell it or not) fairly
>well. I would argue that if you did bind a soul into it it could not be
>dispelled and would have to be killed to release the soul (but that is me).
>Alternately you can allow people to do the same to wands and such... I
>typically don't allow this without strict examination and would probably
>limit it on creations also (for example, you could not remove a slime spell
>on a wand if you don't know it, and likewise you could not dispell a
>creation if it has powers you don't have/understand).

Valid points.  I would agree you cna't dispell some things like wanded things
But i thought (not really investigated it enough so basing it on a glimpses
review
fromt eh day you posted the questions) you could do the creation since it was
sorta a magical creation than a natural one.  Its borderline in theory
though.
But
you have good valid points.

>-random could be random size as well... say for example you wanted to
>create an UPPER WORLD firesnake... 2x would be min. size. As far as
>creating non-random, you could create a 10x30 firesnake, but it would not
>have the abilities of a firesnake (unless you had them and imparted them).
>Any imaginary creature can be made, so a six hundred foot long firesnake is
>not out of the realm of possibilities (it just won't have 600 HP! and will
>be easy to attack). It just won't have firesnake abilities.

I suppose you could do it that way as well.

>-ah yes, flaming silk. please keep in mind that the "flaming" part would
>have to imbued on a creature that is not "normal/random". Can the caster
>flame on like Johnny B? Didn't think so. Please remember that this is a
>PHYSICAL creation, metaphysical and magical effects are not imparted on
>imaginary creatures (so while you can make a 600 ft snake, you cannot for
>example create a wil-o-wisp as it is not a physical creature (but you could
>create a fuzzy ball creature with insubstantibility and flight)).

Yeah I should look into the spell alot more but yes it was good examples.  I
could
have fun with the spell.  A giant 800 foot round ball of dust that suffocates
folks :)
Course one torch and you'd have a good fire..

>-AH! come on! half (overexageration I know) of the decent shamanic spells
>are for ripping apart souls and such... which is why most alignments don't
>care to tangle with them I'd guess (that and once they get going they can
>be some of the fastest spellcasters in the game... and a few important
>spells they have have NO range limits...)

Yeah but then your getting god like and the gods might not like that at least
in my
universe :)

>Fleeting all to fast is that withered crust, which even now crumbles at my
>feet as I stand annew in this new incarnation.

Heheh

>ps. yeh you might just tick some gods off, so what??! IF you cast this
>spell at EL 10, you can have a strength bonus of 8, and I would say an AV
>up to 10 (basically limited by spell EL). And you would retain your skills
>in your new body (ok, providing all the other things you wanted to do came
>through). Not only that, but you could create a whole bunch of warriors to
>fight for you; OCV would be 27! can you say OUCHIES! I can. That would have
>to be some Avatar! (and wouldn't this all make a great campaign sometime?
>maybe we should make a module Scott)

hehe...well that'd take care of most acolytes of the gods who were made to
track you
down..then I guess the gods would have to directly intervene like trapping you
on their
plane or such then have some fun with you :)