wand/staff

Alex Koponen akoponen at MOSQUITONET.COM
Tue Mar 13 00:01:28 CET 2001

> Now, on to the destruction (under enhancement), and I quote: "Failure
> destroys 1/2 of the material used and does not bring about the enhanced
> values. Abysmal Failure destroys all of the material." SOOOO... if you are
> making something, like a bag, and HALF of it is destroyed... Or let's say
> you finally found that STAR SAPPHIRE and failed a casting... what good is
> 1/2 a bag (a hood maybe?) or 1/2 a gem? NONE!
>
> As far as failure under enchantment, you are correct. But let us consider
> making a jeweled staff... you could pretty much rule that any failure
> destroys 1/2 the jewel and therefore the staff. Just a thought.
> -Marcel

Many natural magic materials need Enhancement, ONCE. And yes, failure there
will ruin the item (jewel). But many Enchantments can be put on an item,
failure on one of them need not prevent other Enchantments from being
cast into the item. Plus many items don't need to be made from natural magic
materials and few GM's would say that a simple bag, say, would require
Enhancement before Enchantments could be placed in it. But if one wished
you could rule that in YOUR game everything required Enhancement before
it could be Enchanted.
        Alex