wand/staff

Maouse maouse at FULTON-NET.COM
Fri Mar 16 14:55:04 CET 2001

I have OFTEN pondered this very question (every time I read it). Why not
just use 2d6 (MEL) and 1d6 (EL)? I THINK the reason was this - a D10 gives
a 40% better chance of EL6 (or 1/2 MEL max) than 1d6 does. By doing this,
they are saying that TYPICALLY magic items are made by competent persons...
as opposed to novices. Of course we ALL know that up to MEL 12 mages are
still pretty much novices (powerful novices, but novices none the less). We
all also know that if you got to MEL 12 using ANY *single group* of spells
(say fire powers), your EL will be maxed out for that group of spells...
(except in the case of dwarves which can basically add 8 to their max EL
based on their armorer skill). I can't really explain any better why there
are not any Mel 8 EL 10 items out there. Perhaps it is simply put in for
game balance and my postulations are just bunk...

-Marcel