Similar weapon use

Maouse maouse at FULTON-NET.COM
Wed May 23 22:04:02 CEST 2001

I think we'll continue to disagree as to what the "basic bonus" should be...

In any event, taking a Tulwar and a Scimitar - they are used in very
different ways in combat. A Scimitar is used like an axe (pretty much),
while a Tulwar is typically used as a slashing weapon. One is long, curved
and heavy on the tip, and the other is just long, curved and thin. So when
you say "I'm great with one, why not with the other?" the answer is simple,
they use entirely different combat strategies.

Likewise a longsword (or even sword) and a shortsword are not used the
same. I have never seen anyone attempt to keep someone at range with a
shortsword to much success. It is a close combat weapon primarily. To say
that you are excellent at close combat weapons, so you should be fair with
longer melee weapons (or vice versa) is a misnomer.

Take also the dagger and axe groups. Just because you are good at weilding
the close combat one, you should be good at throwing them? I think not.

Essentially the fact that you get to use them with NO NEGATIVE is the 1/2
bonus you want to give. It is the basic familiarity. To give someone who
has never picked up a shortsword any bonus based on his expertise with a
longsword is just plain wrong. I know it is 1/2 the size, but that does not
warrant half the skill.

NOW - if you subdivided and added weapons from other cultures I could see
this bonus applying. A Machete would be about a sword or Scimitar, a Tanto
the same as a dagger or short sword, etc... but only if they were smilar
size and combat usage would I grant a 1/2 EL bonus (if I ever felt like
being a gm who wanted to keep track of all those type nua