MMORPG based on Powers and Perils

John Hendrickson Halstead savagemarx at CS.COM
Thu May 31 21:59:29 CEST 2001

David Jackson <araborn at HOME.COM> wrote:

>>#3 Mages can learn spells up to certain EL's, what is
>>to prevent a stat maxed mage from sitting back and "practicing" his art
>>until he is the all powerful mage on high? (NOTHING I HOPE!).
>
>No reason at all that it can't happen that way, as long as the player is
>willing to invest
>the time developing his character that way.  The problem will come from
>other mages
>not wanting to let this one up-and-comer get too big for his britches.  We
>have seen
>perfect examples of this in literature - why can't it happen in our games?

In ordinary campaigns, this is how I like to deal with this issue:  the more powerful a mage gets, the more he attracts the attention of beings of the opposing orientation.  A mage may be able to hide out in the Middle World, from other Middle Worlders, but not so from residents of the Upper World.  In accordance with the eternal law of Balance, when a mage starts to get to big for his britches, I let some opposite-oriented beings into the Middle World to pester him.  Eventually, he will be driven into the Upper World to seek refuge in the same-oriented territories.  This rule applies as much for those who increase their expertise through study as those who do through experience.  It's a good way of keeping the Middle World safe from too-powerful mages.

Another more direct way to accomplish this purpose is to limit the amount of experience a mage can gain through study before gaining real experience.   You can use any ratio of study/experience.  It keeps mages from spending their life in the library and then popping out as demi-gods.  you have to play with the game mechanics (something I've done liberally if you can't tell already).

John