Crafting (and Wages)

Choinski, Burton Burton.Choinski at MATRIXONE.COM
Fri Mar 29 19:50:13 CET 2002

|| Also remember wages vary.  A smithy in X land won't get the
|| same pay as in Y land due to various aspects.  Some are specilized
|| and some aren't.

True, but I suppose it depends on how deep into the detail you want to get.
I plan to keep it simple, as a set of guidelines.  The eventual document
will be in word, so GMs that download it from Wout's site can tweak as
needed.

|| >--------------
|| >Name             Weekly Wage    Monthly Wage
|| >Bearer               2CC              10CC
|| >For general carrying and lifting.  Can move 500 pound/miles per site per
day
|| >(250 pound/miles for a single direction of carrying), maximum of 50
pounds
|| >at a single load.
|| If you needed a labor force you could use PA as some form of criterion
for pay
|| as
|| well?

The above price was based on Joe Average Bearer, S 15 and Carrying EL 20
(Sx2 + 20 = 50).  Presumably a 2x Laborer with S 30 and perhaps EL 40 in
Carrying would be paid 50% more (3CC per week).

I have started working on the document already.  All occupations will be
given a rate based on the usual term of hiring (most skilled occupations are
hired by the week, short terms ones are done on a day-by-day bases).  All
rates assume 6 days per week, 5 weeks per month (as based on the P&P
calender I posted a while back).

In a related note, I was checking on the stats for a laborer.  In effect:
"Working in teams with good equipment, 250 cubic feet of earth or sand or
125 cubic feet of rocky soil can be excavated per man per day."

250 cubic feet is a ditch 2.5 feet deep by 10 feet wide and long.  Does this
seem like a lot to you (perhaps not, given a 10 hour day...could I
personally dig out about a cubic yard of earth in an hour?  I think I could.
I'd be pretty beat by the end of the day, though.

However, given this, 250 cubic feet of soil is about 13 TONS of earth. Good
Lord, could I actually dig out that much dirt?

Free useful link enclosed:
http://www.tesarta.com/www/resources/library/weights.html
(I used an average of clay and dry sand for my earth weigh calculation,
rounded to 115# per cubic foot)

Do these numbers seem to high?  Anyone here with any serious excavation
experince (picks and shovel work) to chime in on this?

||>Thatcher                 3CC          15CC
||>Can create up to 1,300 pounds of thatching per day.
||>
||>Quarryman                3CC          15CC
||>Can quarry up to 3,300 pounds of stone rubble or up to 600 pounds of cut
||>stone per day
||Same as thatcher?  They get killed alot more from rock slides and such...
||hazard bonus? :)

True.  Thatcher should get more then general labor since it is semi-skilled
work.  perhaps 25BB per week for a Thatcher then.

Quarry work is not the same as working underground, but I agree it is more
dangerous then chipping out rock.  I think upping it to 4CC per week is good
(4x the cost of digging rocks out of the earth).

||Brickmaker               5CC          25CC
||>Can produce up to 50 cubic feet of fired brick per day (6,000 pounds),
||>provided he has a kiln.  Can also produce 100 cubic-feet of dried mud
block
||>per day (9,600 pounds)
||3 tons of brick a day!?  That's a bit high to me...
||When I was in a medieval city (ok..williamsburg though not medieval it
||was pre-colonial) the smith there did about a half to a ton...if i
recall...

Thinking on the lines of 6 bricks per cubic foot (1 foot long, 6 inches
wide, 4 inches high), that is 600 bricks.

Over a 10 hour day that is 1 brick per minute.  It says in the notes I have
that this involves a team of laborers (one filling molds, other mixing up
the mud, others tamping it down and other carrying it off to drying
stations.  If one person had to do this, yea it would be a lot longer.
However, seeing as how it takes a team to do this, that would imply a higher
rate than 1 per minute in order to get the 600 bricks/person, but It does
not seem too exteme (other than being a lot of work).  I'd be willing to cut
this down by half (50cf of brick/300 bricks) in order to get some rest time
and to allow for a little more reasonable pace.  And the rate above was for
mud brick.  Fired brick is produced at half the rate, so we get 25cf of
fired brick

And the weight as I had it was wrong anyways.  100cf of brick (after firing)
will weigh 5.7 tons, so even the cut down 25cf will be 1.42 tons of brick.
Note that it will take an equal volume of straw (200#) and double the volume
of wood (2000#) to make this 25cf of fired brick.

and I note that my 1.42 tons of brick is within spitting distance of your
williamsburg 0.5 to 1 ton (since they don't do it all day to the exclusion
of nothing else).

||>Soldier          4CC          20CC
||>Basic Warrior I, provides primary weapon and basic armor.
||>
||>Scout                  3CC            16CC
||>Basic Scout I
||Wouldn't the scout get more since they are specilized trained to stealth
||operations and such?

This comes from my old 'Dogs of War' posting. "Soldiers" are those that
concentrate on S and St, and thus more front-line troops.  "Scouts"
concentrate on D and A, and more of the archer corp.  Since the scouts
tended to have less HP, and by the formula actual ability to take a beating
as well as OCV was factored into the value formula, Scouts got shafted in
pay.

However, they usually made up for it when you added their bonuses for being
an archer.  But in general, being less capable then a front-line soldier
they get less pay.  Such units placed into danger as true scouting units
could easily command 50% more then the base pay.

||But it all depends on various factors like lands, supply/demand and
||such.  So it is a case by casie basis for me.  A lumberjack would
||get zilch in Clima unless hes sent to their oversea lumberjack facility
||but a quarryman might make decnet amount on clima.  But
||it would be the reverse say for the Great Forest
||the lumberjack could find plenty of work but as a oversupply they
||might make less..

I think that is definitly a GM call. The values I am collecting will be the
baseline -- the GM is free to stiff certain occupations in certain regions,
but as an "average" to work with the idea is sound.
         -- Burton

Burton Choinski
Principle Software Engineer, Quality Engineering
email: burton.choinski at matrixone.com

phone: 978-322-2135
fax  : 978-452-5764

MatrixOne, Inc.
Two Executive Drive
Chelmsford, Ma 01824
www.matrixone.com

The First in Intelligent Collaborative Commerce