....Chirp...chirp.....Is this thing on? Hello...testing..test ing...

Choinski, Burton Burton.Choinski at MATRIXONE.COM
Mon Oct 7 14:56:34 CEST 2002

|| I sat down and looked at the ship building rules and made up
|| some ships ...I
|| think
|| they were your rules?  I'm still not sure on some terms like
|| freeboard and
|| such
|| but
|| I'll get it.  The rule of rigging being 3x the height above
|| deck over the beam
|| seems
|| a bit off not sure if that's valid since a large warship
|| would have skyscraper
|| like
|| sails :)
|| So still tinkering wtih it...

Freeboard is the amount of side of the ship above the waterline.  The
greater the freeboard, the less likely waves will wash up and into the boat.

The rigging rule of thumb comes from the Harn rules.  If you take a look at
any old sailing ship compare the width of the ship to the height of the
masts...I think you will see that it's not to bad.  In fact, many of the
modern sailing ships have even TALLER masts, which they get away with due to
a deep running keel.

None of these bronze age/iron age designs use a deep keel -- they are all
meant to be able to be beached at night or travel coastal waters.

|| Yeah..just I recall initially the "death" rule where you get
|| exp like in some
|| games for
|| the death blow and was curious if others had views on it.
|| and it was an
|| excuse to post here :)

I've always kind of frowned on the "Death blow EXP" rule, so that if
everyone in the party ganks the thing at the end they get the EXP for it.
For most creatures,
they are down and out at 0 AHP, but I will grant the exp for the driving
into negative.  I do not grant additional players exp, only the one to get
them there (which makes initiative somewhat important.

NOTE: I use the weapon-length initiative table, combined with modifications
due to armor.  Characters in heavy plate are reduced 3 rows on the table, so
lightly armored people with smaller weapons can get the jump on them.

Burton Choinski
Principle Software Engineer, Quality Engineering
email: burton.choinski at matrixone.com

phone: 978-322-2135
fax  : 978-452-5764

MatrixOne, Inc.
Two Executive Drive
Chelmsford, Ma 01824
www.matrixone.com

The First in Intelligent Collaborative Commerce