Interesting find.

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Fri Mar 14 04:48:57 CET 2003

At 07:26 AM 3/13/03 -0800, you wrote:

> To my mind there are a lot of decent systems that do not include the D&D
> "Class-level" system and some decent ones that do have some semblence of
> classes and levels. I imagine that most of you are aware of these systems,
> but have issues with them. Here's a list of some systems that might fit the
> bill:
>
> Classless:

Sounds familiar but not played it.

>  GURPS

Always a good system for good imaginative players/GMs.

> FUDGE Harnmaster

Man.  Not played Fudge in ages.  Interesting system.  What was the main thing
I liked about Fudge?...seems to me it was their combat system.

Harn is always good...

> Masterbook Hero Talislanta RPG (this one has a shiny new edition too)

Not heard of those.  Then again I've run game systems others never heard of :)

> RuneQuest Riddle of Steel Conan RPG (this one might surprise some)

RQ good as always.

> With Class/Level, but in a way I feel is less objectionable:
Rolemaster/MERP
> Age of Heroes (free download) The Atlantis System (a.k.a., The Arcanum, The
> Lexicon, and The Bestiary) Arduin

Lexicon...wow a name not heard in ages..

> There's probably many I'm missing...these are just off the top of my head.
>
> Although I think P&P is a good system for Simulationist play (which I
> prefer), it is one of the least well written rulesets ever considering the
> complexity. The more complex a system is, the better the rules need to be
> explained. As written, the rules are very hard to digest for even a seasoned
> gamer, let alone a novice player.

You'd love Chartmaster..err I mean Rolemaster than :)  Not tons of rules
per se
but tons of charts and charts..and more charts to those charts..

> I would be interested in hearing people's impression of these and their
> thoughts on the P&P ruleset in comparison.

Well having run multiple systems like most here you tend to lean toward games
that
are more fun than rule oriented these days after decades of gaming.