Phoenix - Skill Mechanism

Choinski, Burton Burton.Choinski at MATRIXONE.COM
Fri Oct 17 19:18:30 CEST 2003

|| One possibility for a combat/magic/skill mechanism for P&P
|| is to use the
|| Combat Table.
|| OCV-DCV or MEL-? or 0 plus or minus situational modifiers
|| (particularly
|| time) determines which line to use. Note that many skills (example
|| musician) do not allow extra time.

Problem is, the effect of EL in combat is nearly minimal (EL x 2 subtracted
from roll) as compared to the "other" skills (usually EL x 10 for most
skills, with others at a percentile level.

Remember 'EL 4' in a weapon is supposedly the same as a EL 40 skill (if "or
80").  If you go from EL5 to EL5 in a weapon you see a gain of 2% in combat,
where as other skills see a 10% gain.

One variant I had toyed with while doodling one day was to extrapolate the
CEL/MEL concept and apply it to all skills.  It was something like "Combat
Talent", "Magical Talent" for the existing CEL and MEL.  One would also have
"Survival Talent" (touches all skills involvig outdoors tasks), "Social
Talent" (Involving personal interaction), "Crafting Talent" (or Artistic
Talent), etc.

In this simplified system the player rolled 2d10+skill+any appreciable
talent to hit a target number, (or 10+opposing skill+opposing talent).  The
possible talents were never fleshed out, though.

Burton Choinski
Principal Software Engineer, Quality Engineering
email: burton.choinski at matrixone.com

phone: 978-322-2135
fax  : 978-452-5764

MatrixOne, Inc.
Two Executive Drive
Chelmsford, Ma 01824
www.matrixone.com

The First in Intelligent Collaborative Commerce