Stupid Question #3 :)

David Hunt dhunt at MYRIAD.NET
Wed Sep 10 00:33:14 CEST 2003

Scott Adams wrote:

>Ok.  Dead list again.  Here is stupid Question #3.
>
>Insubstatial.
>
>1) Noise - when you speak would one actually speak or be heard?  The
>physics of
>a non-solid
>voicebox would to me say no.  But I was just thinking about this the other
>day.  What do you
>guys say?
>
>2) Throwing things from a Insub person they would become solid.  Does anyone
>play differently
>like they still remain insub?
>

>Longshot - ZC of AdventureNet International Echomail Network
>Fringe BBS - EWOG II - 904-733-1721
>Telegard / Allfix Beta Site
>Website: http://users.cybermax.net/~longshot
>ICQ: 24436933

Very good question, that.

1)  I'm sure that you could speak under the effects of the spell,
because the spell description addresses what spells you can cast, and
you have to be able to speak to cast spells.  It never occured to me
that the subject wouldn't be able to be heard, and in general I think
it's not a great idea to try figure out how physics would apply to
various impossible changes that magic can bring about in people.  For
example, the subject would not automatically fall into the ground while
under the effects of the spell but would continue to walk on the ground
unless he tried to move through it or cast Levitate to move through the
air.   Albert had an interesting idea with the subject of the spell's
voice being a far-off ghostly sound.  If that idea appeals to you, that
sounds cool.  Of course, it you're the Referee, then you can change the
rules as much as you want as long as you're players will stick with you.

2)  This has never come up in a game that I played in.  I would think
that you shouldn't be able to use the Insubstantiability spell as a
means to hurt someone with impunity, so there shoud be some way of
preventing that from happening.  The idea of a one phase delay sounds
like a good start.  You might also institute the ruling that anything
that became solid while within a solid object is destroyed without
harming the solid object.

Just my two cents.

David