Stupid Question #3 :)

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Mon Sep 15 04:58:25 CEST 2003

> Very good question, that.
>
> 1)  I'm sure that you could speak under the effects of the spell, because
the
> spell description addresses what spells you can cast, and you have to be
able
> to speak to cast spells.  It never occured to me that the subject
wouldn't be
> able to be heard, and in general I think it's not a great idea to try figure
> out how physics would apply to various impossible changes that magic can
> bring about in people.  For example, the subject would not automatically
fall
> into the ground while under the effects of the spell but would continue to
> walk on the ground unless he tried to move through it or cast Levitate to
> move through the air.   Albert had an interesting idea with the subject of
> the spell's voice being a far-off ghostly sound.  If that idea appeals to
> you, that sounds cool.  Of course, it you're the Referee, then you can
change
> the rules as much as you want as long as you're players will stick with you.

When I first played with a spell to make you not solid back in the '80s i had
trouble with that
concept of movement and such.  But have changed beliefs.  As to speaking to
casting spells
I never really thought all spells had to be SAID to be cast.  Some yes and
some
with
hand movements and some with pure thought.  I never put a restriction that it
has to be
spoken to be used.  But that is something to think about with this spell.

> 2)  This has never come up in a game that I played in.  I would think that
> you shouldn't be able to use the Insubstantiability spell as a means to hurt
> someone with impunity, so there shoud be some way of preventing that from
> happening.  The idea of a one phase delay sounds like a good start.  You
> might also institute the ruling that anything that became solid while within
> a solid object is destroyed without harming the solid object.

That would certainly deter the use of the log in the dragon thing and put
balance back into the
spell for sure.  Good thoughts all around.  Thanks folks!