Lethality Index

Scott Adams longshot at DARKTECH.ORG
Mon Feb 2 04:33:31 CET 2004

At 07:59 AM 2/1/04 -0500, you wrote:
>Alex Koponen has been speaking about an idea on DTV. Though I would never
>take it to the negative HPV level he proposes, I have given it some thought.
>It could add an interesting element to the game. My rules on the concept
>follow below:
>
>LETHALITY INDEX
>
>     Each character has a Lethality Index. The value = DTV * 4. If your DTV
>is -4, your LI is -16. Effects are as follows:
>Between 0 and DTV - The character is limited and semiconscious. He may take
>one action per tactical turn OR move MR/10 (RU) in a tactical turn.
>When less than DTV and not less than LI - The person is unconscious.
>Less than LI - Dead

I can't explain why but I don't really cater to this idea.  Its just some
nagging feeling.  I like the system as it is and I use some modified rules
for bleeding nad such through other systems.  But the fact they can still
do an action when they
have NO HP...is just strange...Maybe its that each race would act
differently.  You'd figure trauma to a Dwarf/Faerry would be more serious
than trauma to a full sized tall elf/human (body trauma which affects brain
activity, shock, etc.).
Maybe I'll have to sleep on it and figure out what is the big beef with
this.  I cna't put it into words now.

>     When a wound is suffered that leaves the character with an HPV value
>less than ONE, a roll is taken on the Death Table below. The victim may
>subtract his CB from the roll. If the wound was inflicted by a SEVERE hit
>add TWO to the roll. If it is a DEADLY hit add TWO plus the number of DICE
>used to roll the deadly. (If a 5D10 deadly, add SEVEN). The roll is taken
>with 2D10.
>                         DEATH TABLE
>ROLL        MEANING
>3 or Less   Much of the affect of the blow is in fact a STUN. Recover 2D6
>hits in 1D6 turns.
>4 - 7        Increase damage ONE point per CB phases until the bleeding is
>stopped.
>8 - 15      Damage increases 1D6 - CB points each phase with a minimum
>increase of ONE.
>16 - 19    Damage increases 1D10 - CB each phase with a minimum increase of
>TWO.
>20 + Up   The wound inflicted is instantly terminal. (Head removed, Heart
>pierced, etc)
>STOPPING THE BLEEDING
>     The character is allowed to roll to stop the bleeding if the blow does
>not kill him outright. If he succeeds, the damage level no longer increases.
>Until he succeeds it increases as specified in the table above. The absolute
>value of the LI is used for this. If the roll on D100 is .LT. or equal to
>the LI the bleeding is stopped. If it is greater but less than 95 it
>continues. If it is 96 - 100 it increases ONE point per phase.
>     Should the player manage to get access to healing supplies while dying,
>roll against LI * 2.
>NOTE - The system above covers only an individual doing what he can solo.
>Aid from another player or a healer will modify the situation as covered in
>the extant rules. Those involved in the effort can do nothing else while
>attempting to save the threatened life.
>
>The rule above is a rough idea only. Obviously, some tweaking on the concept
>is in order. Let me know what you think.

This has some promise..