Ensorcelled Items

Choinski, Burton Burton.Choinski at MATRIXONE.COM
Tue Feb 10 13:54:17 CET 2004

I'm happy to just drop the Will/energy cost or hard limits and just
concentrate on recharge annoyances.  Much simpler.

|| I agree with the increased cost for stashing mana, it sounds good. 1:1
would work in your own purified sanctum, at best, but on the road or in
hostile turf, it should cost more.

I can go with this, as long as we are talking an area that has had the
purify spell cast on it.  In any case, there should be a time to recharge,
and I'm suprised I did not think of it before -- the rate as specified in
the spell itself.  For items with a a bound spirit, you use the Will/10 of
the spirit plust the MEL of the battery itself.  For soulless items You hav
eto put the mana in, but at no faster a rate than YOUR will/10 plus the MEL
of the battery.

Let's skip the mana bleed.  It does add makework for the GM.

|| What if the mana battery limited Casting Speed? It can give, say, no more
mana than EL (modified somehow) per phase and MEL per turn

I think this is a very good idea, but it should only be used as a cap.  Just
use the MEL and EL of the battery on the casting table, with the resulting
speed the fastest you can draw from the battery (you could draw less).  This
will make it undesireable to have a bunch of low-EL cheap batteries.

|| Also, I like the "Money Pit". I think 1 SC in new materials for 10 Mana
Recharged is a fair expense to load it up.

That may be a bit high.  If we limit recharge to the rate from the spell,
and that is over a DAY (i.e. if the battery has a recharge rate of 6, you
can put in 1 mana every 4 hours.  You can't just pile in 6 mana and then go
off and do your chores.  At best you can use half the time on other things
(Like sleeping, eating, etc).  Basically, recharging a battery kills your
day, and a mage that is mothering his batteries isn't making any money or
training anything.  I think that's harsh enough for the flexibility they
grant you.

Burton Choinski
Principal Software Engineer, Quality Engineering
email: burton.choinski at matrixone.com

phone: 978-589-4089
fax:      978-589-5903

MatrixOne, Inc.
210 Littleton Rd.
Westford, Ma 01886
www.matrixone.com

The First in Intelligent Collaborative Commerce