[PnP] Re: D20 Conversion

Alex Koponen akoponen at mosquitonet.com
Tue Feb 17 09:08:47 CET 2004

More ideas for D20 => P&P conversion:
SKILLS
D20 skills rely on Rank + Attribute Bonus. P&P basically relies upon EL (=
rank) and uses the attribute to determine the maximum EL (rank)
attainable.
  I suggest using D20 Rank + (½ Attribute Bonus) (RD) to determine the EL
of the skill. If multiple D20 skill go towards a single P&P skill
(example: skills going to Rhetoric) the Ranks are cumulative but the  (½
Attribute Bonus) (RD) is only added once. Note that all skills should be
reduced to Maximum EL if they end up being over the Maximum EL.
  Characters should get up to Base Attack Bonus +1 number of weapons that
they are trained to use at EL0. Higher ELs can be gotten by forgoing EL0
in another weapon per +1 EL or from Feats.

FEATS in general should be translated into skills. Each 1 point of bonus
would equal 1 EL. For Item Creation Feats they would translate into
various levels of skill in Permanent Magics. Metamagic Feats would
translate into additional levels of skill in a spell or spells of the
player's choice.

COMBAT VALUES
D20 uses Base Attack Bonus which is equivalent to CEL. Thus CEL is easily
determined.

Hit Points are added each level in D20. To take this into account I add 1
to C for each 5 Hit points (RD) the D20 Character had.

D20 uses three types of saving throws. These should be ignored. MDV, HPV,
DTV, DCV and other values should be calculated from the Current Abilities
calculated from the D20 attributes and from the CEL.

D20 Attribute to P&P Attribute
Convert D20 stats to P&P Current Abilities by calculating the appropriate
bonus, then estimating how far up the bonus the attribute is.

Bonus/2(RD) => bonus example: Strength 14-17 => S16-30
D20 Attribute Value     P&P Current Ability

      6-9              =>            2-5
    10-13            =>            6-15
    14-17            =>           16-30
    18-21            =>           31-50
    22-25            =>           51-75
    26-29            =>           76-105
    30-33            =>         106-140
    34-37            =>         141-180
    38-41            =>         181-225

D20 attribute used to calculate P&P attributes:
Strength                        Strength
Constitution                  Stamina and Constitution
Dexterity                      Dexterity and Agility
Charisma                      Eloquence and Appearance
Wisdom                       Will and Empathy
Intelligence                  Intelligence
As Ap uses the Rule 1.320 Table which is different from the normal Bonus
Table we modify the results for Ap using D20 Charisma of 10-13 giving an
Ap of 16-35 and varying from there.

EXAMPLE: Using the sample (1st level) character in the Player's Handbook I
translate him into P&P.
Regdar has Str-15(+2); Dex-12(+1); Con-14(+2); Int-10; Wis-8(-1);
Cha-13(+1). His Base Attack Bonus is +1 and he has four Ranks of skill in
Climb; Handle Animal; and Swim. He has the Feats of Weapon Focus; Power
Attack; Cleave. He has 12 hit points.

Translating we get:
15 => 16-30   I figure 14 would be in the range of 16-20, thus 15 is
21-25, splitting the difference I give him a S23. Similarly I determine
St18; D12; A12; I7; W4; E14; Em4; C20* and Ap33. If I wanted I could boost
D and drop A by one or vice versa, same for E and Ap or St and C. Base
Attack Bonus gives a CEL1. Skill Ranks plus  (½ Attribute Bonus) (RD)
gives EL5 in Swimming and Climbing while he would get EL4 in Husbandry
except that it is an 'or 80' skill so I would multiple by 10 to get EL40.
I grant a +1 to primary weapon EL for each Feat.
*C is +2 because 12/5 (RD)=2 additional from D20 hit points.

     Calculating various values we get SB+1; StB+1; OCV3; DCV1; DV=0;
HPV=16; HC=19%; DTV=-2; EnL=24; MDV=2; IC=16%; Move=10; PMR 3/2/3/2;
Portage Ability 66 lbs. Regdar's skill in Shortbow is EL0 and his skill in
Greatsword is EL3 because of the Feats. I double check the skill maximums
and find EL5 is his maximum for swimming and climbing. However EL8 is his
maximum for Husbandry so he breaks the EL40 down to EL8 each for dogs;
horses; cattle; cats and birds (since he needed to specialize anyway).

Comments?

 - Alex