[PnP] Re: On Creation and such spells

Alex Koponen akoponen at mosquitonet.com
Fri Feb 20 06:17:29 CET 2004

Thu, 28 Dec 2000 Maouse wrote:
I have recently run into a few questions regarding certain spells in the
game which state they can be "made permanent". One such spell that is kind
of vague is Creation. My questions regarding this spell are:

1. How does one make it a permanent spell? Is it done like fascination?
Permanent magics? (recast and use the rules for the shamanic
origin/strange powers?) Anyone know or have a way they do it?

A. In my game I require that the Ensorcellment spell first be successfully
cast  (before casting Creation) at the same (or higher) EL for a Creation
to be permanent. Of course at that time you don't know if it will be under
your control.

2. Can one impart only innates into the creature? Or can one allow the
creature to use one spell (or group of spells) as innates (as long as the
mage casting it knows the spell is apparently the limit set in the book).

A. "Any power or ability" I interprete to include ANY spell known. However
I would also limit the Innate EL to the EL that the creator knew the spell
at. I would rule against 'groups of spells' and only allow one spell per
tripled cost.

3. Can Creation be used to "clone" people and/or creatures or is it just
the caster's version of the person? (ie. does it make exact duplicates if
the bonuses permit it to). How smart of a creature can be made (perhaps I
want to make a copy of myself, how smart is the duplicate? - NO SAR
Please!).

A. I would rule that it is just the caster's version of the
person -granted some casters can get pretty close by using Telepathic
Powers etc. And it is limited by what limits the spell sets.

4. And the final question which relates to the 3rd one - How much
knowledge does a created creature have? Do they start as "new creations"
and you have to baby them to get them to do anything... me, as a GM, would
of course want this to be so, as a player, not so much (I would want to be
able to impart any knowledge I had, such as walking/talking/chewing bubble
gum and weilding swords)... cause as a player I'd love to create an EL 80
armorer to do my armoring work while I study spells... as a GM I would not
allow (even myself) to "just be able to create an EL 80 armorer"...

A. As the spell allows any language the caster can speak I allow 'general
knowledge' but would charge 3x cost as per innates for any useful skills
like Armorer and it would be limited to the lower of the caster's skill or
Maximum Ability as determined by the creation's Abilities (S, St, etc).

5. If a recast is used, is this how one keeps their creations in line - do
what I say and I'll make you real... hehehe... SURE I WILL!

A. See my answer to Q.1. I don't allow recasts with this spell.

6. Can 1/2 size creatures be made with the normal special abilities (or
1/2
of their innates if you get my jist). If I can create a 1/2 size Storm
Giant for instance, and he can use Storm Giant Innates, is this a legal
rule mongering spell? I guess the answer to the original question would be
yes (you can create 1/2 or double size creatures as long as the HP limit
allows).

A. Only if the caster has the power or ability so as to be able to give
the creation the innate. The creation is, as always, limited by the limits
of the spell. BTW most referees will not allow an ant sized creation to
have Storm Giant strength. However I can conceive of a rodent sized
creation having any one of a number of innate spells. Though I might limit
the intellect, strength and other factors for something that small.

 - Alex K