DTV

Alex Koponen akoponen at MOSQUITONET.COM
Sat Jan 31 05:20:32 CET 2004

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:16:24 +0100, Alex Koponen <akoponen at MOSQUITONET.COM>
wrote:

>I think that DTV is too restrictive. You only have a few points in which a
>character is unconscious. Nor are their rules for bleeding.
>I suggest:
>1.3252 DAMAGE TOLERANCE
>  All Characters can withstand...
>...A remaining HPV greater than zero indicates that the Character is
>conscious and active. A value of less than DTV, but greater than negative
>HPV indicates that the Character is dying, losing 1 Hit Point per phase
>until negative HPV is reached at which time the Character is dead.
>  Magical healing or prompt medical care can stop the loss of Hit Points.
>Any healing spell or a turn (4 phases) of bandaging can stop the bleeding.
>A Character stabilized between DTV and negative HPV is in a coma and cannot
>care for themselves at all.

Further thoughts:
  From 0 to DTV would cover the health range where a Character is incapable
of action but is semi-conscious or asleep.

  Adds complexity but one could also have a death roll each phase that a
Character is below the DTV. The Character would roll Hit Points below 0 +
CB + StB, any success on this roll would be fatal. Example: Jock (DTV-5
StB+2 and CB+3) has been struck down and is at -5. Jock doesn't have to
roll because it is still in DTV. A Goblin hits him for another 9 points and
Jock is below DTV and has to make a death roll each phase. The first phase
Jock is at -14 which would give him a 14% chance of dying, except that his
StB and CB improve his roll by 5, thus he has a 9% chance of dying.
  Presuming he survives and only loses 1 point due to bleeding but hasn't
had his wounds treated. He now has a 10% chance of dying, the next phase
11% and so on.

  Bandaging takes 4 phases to stop the bleeding. Once the bleeding is
stopped the death rolls are also stopped. Trained Healers are quicker at
stopping the bleeding and subtract the StB granted for healing from the
phases of bandaging needed to stop the bleeding. Any magical healing, if
successful, will stop the bleeding.