[PnP] Powers and Perils Rights

Albert Sales drite_mi at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 14 18:48:51 CET 2004

   An author can keep the rights, but they do have to be careful (as you pointed out) that the employer has not worked ownership of the work into the contract. However, I seem to have a faint recollection of something about a 30 year personal creative work exemption from contractual liscence, but I'm not sure exactly how that worked or even what it is anymore. Also, this exemption can be signed away. That was why I had asked. When I had done my writing and sold (gave) it to TSR and R-Tal, I kept the rights to one (worthless) piece. If Tucker and his fiends ever rise up in D&D 3E, I can complain. lol

Wout Broere <broere at powersandperils.org> wrote:
At 12:40 PM 3/12/2004, you wrote:
>Author who creates a given work for hire does not have rights to it. They
>velong to the company. In this case, have been assigned from Hasbro to
>their sub-company, Wizards of the West Coast.

Funny how copyright laws differ in different countries. Even though the
university pays me to write articles, the result is copyright by me and not
the university I know, because the university tried to get a clause in the
employment contract giving them the copyright, and all hell broke loose.
Now this is Dutch Law, and I expect Richard had an explicit clause in his
contract transferring copyright to Avalon Hill, so the point is probably moot.

Now I have barely time to keep the list up to date at times, so not sure
how much time I can invest in a redo of P&P, but I am certainly interested.
Ask me again when the plan gets more shape.

Wout
Wout Broere broere at powersandperils.org
P&P Website: http://www.powersandperils.org/