[PnP] Phoenix magics + Ap

Albert Sales drite_mi at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 18 22:16:52 CET 2004

   I absolutely HAVE to get this out as to one reason why I dislike appearance scores. While I do understand that some characteristics are found universally appealing (inborn natural preference), I have seen some extremes as to what is attractive. A scrawny 90 lb 5 ft 10 woman who's ribs could easily be checked for fracture had many men (almost litteraly) drooling at her feet while in Orlando (popular in the US, sickening to me). To contrast, another woman weighed in (to my estimates) at about 250 lb, 5ft 8 to 5ft 10, heavy scarring on hands, arms, and face. She was missing teeth in front, as well. The head-snapping response drawn by this woman's beauty caused an (unfortunately fatal) accident, while in Kenya. She was strong, healthy, had most illnesses that could claim a life (the pock scars told that), was of amble build for low-care child birth, and was fully willing to work.
   In PnP, which would have a higher Ap score? Would we use culture modifiers to address the difference? If so, how? I do understand that these are extremes, and that a "norm" does exist for attractiveness (the US norm is FAR from the global, btw), but I've never really liked the score, and have seen it be a point dump (low-score) too often. Being attractive/ ugly is more a special affect to me. I've seen a check-list done once (I think it was traveller, but I'm not sure) that addresses the differences, but have been generaly disappointed with the stat. Using a general stat, I would allow a large initial reaction adjustment, but have it taper off to nothing through time (as the inner beauty shows for better or worse).

Alex Koponen <akoponen at mosquitonet.com> wrote:
Perhaps have ApBx2 as a modifier to IC or ApBx4 when influencing those attracted to those of your gender.

Still doesn't give quite as much of a penalty for those with hideous Ap.

       Alex K