[PnP] Combat resolver [Was: idea]

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Wed Mar 31 03:15:24 CEST 2004

At 11:57 PM 3/29/04 +0200, you wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>I know I do not post often, but sometimes an offside remark gets you going
>like crazy. This time Burton started it with his calendar thing.
>
>I had an excel sheet for years now that did help me resolve combats in p&p.
>You gave in the D100 roll on the combat table, it told you what kind of hit
>you had, based on who you where fighting. It calculated combat orders, and
>could keep remaining HPV, CEP earned and expertise, as long as you knew the
>limitations of the system. It never got to the stage I really trusted it.
>Especially the die rolls for damage it reported where sometimes clearly
>wrong. The system (excel sheet) had the difference between NWI positive or
>negative (positive means in effect a weapon is wielded and another formula
>is used[BTW Richard, an erratum to the original rules, which say the
>opposite]) not in there. This bothered me, especially late at night, after
>too many beers, during a session, when I depended on it as my concentration
>and math were awful.
>
>Basically the main system had been hacked together in under 16 hours, in
>some programming drugged state, so that afterwards I had no real idea how
>it worked. There was never the spirit to go back in and understand the
>code. I just knew I wouldn't understand the garbage I had programmed. **

Heh...yeah 'tis was me.  He peeked my interest in the concept.  I never
thought
of it that way but it was a challenge.  and a challenge to a programmer is
one thing hard to avoid :)

I got the interface down but didn't complete it.

I've yet had time to check out the site but will hopefully this weekend or
end of the week...