[PnP] In game skill acquisition

Albert Sales drite_mi at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 22:38:07 CET 2004

There is already a solution to this out there. Have it learned in chunks. While it was not in the core rules (and I don't remember where I saw it), Partial knowledge could be applied for skills. An Armorer, for example, could be trained in Weapon Repair, then add Armor repair, and then finish purchasing the skill. Each of the "apprenticeships" costs about half of the skill cost, if I remember correctly, and could be broken down even smaller. This has helped with the problem of "instant mastery" in my games, and slightly reduces the rate that skills are gained at.
I've added three house rules to this topic. The starting EL for skills learned In-Game is based on the low scores (not the high ones), and can not be higher than the EL of the person teaching it. Once the apprenticeship is purchased, no more than half the EP can come from training, the remainder must come from usage. These have worked well for me.

Alex Koponen <akoponen at mosquitonet.com> wrote:
When a character, in game, acquires enough training and expertise to
learn a non-combat skill does the character:
Get EL0 in that skill ?
Get a starting level in that skill as implied under Rule 2.41 ?
I use the second but it does encounter the problem of a big jump in
effective skill when it is finally learned. To counter that problem one
can calculate what the starting level will be, figure out what
percentage of learning to the starting level has taken place and
calculate what the effective penalty is.