[PnP] L'p'nth/Orichalum/Eastern Lands/Bhamotin Economy

Choinski, Burton Burton.Choinski at matrixone.com
Wed Apr 27 15:41:03 CEST 2005

*heh* Well, if I wanted to put my weather-wonkyness into it and be more
realistic I would have gone with the following concept:

1)       break up the lands into climatic regions (for example, not just
forest, but northern forest for the areas way up north, temperate forest for
the lands around the Firazi and tropical forest for those on the southern
continet - where exactly is the equator here?  I always assumed it was about
the bottom of map 5, if we take the PL to be somewhat similar to Eurasia and
Africa)  The break between forest and jungle is obviously rainfall, but
breaks for temperature are needed for the other terrains.

2)       Distribute weather (clouds, precipitation, temp) over a table (one
column for each season, the number of rows about 10 or 20).

Initial generation is easy enough...roll a d10 or d20 on the season column
of the climate you are in.  Note the row number you are in.

Each subsequent day roll 2d6-7:

0 - weather remains the same.

+1 or +2 - move up one entry

-1 or -2 - move down 1 entry

+3 or +4 - move up 2 entries

-3 or -4 - move down 2 entries

+5 move up 3 entries

-5 move down 3 entries.

In the case that you move up over the first entry, continue counting from
the bottom of the PREVIOUS season if you happen to be in the first month of
your current season, otherwise count up from the bottom of your current
season.  Likewise, if you go below the bottom, count down from the top of
the NEXT season if you are in the last month of the current season,
otherwise wrap around in your current season.

If you happen to be in "unseasonal weather", roll 1d6-6 if you are in the
PREVIOUS season or 1d6-1 if in the NEXT season.

If the weather entries are positioned right you can have your "instant"
weather as needed, or produce seemingly realistic cycles of clear or cloudy
weather.  Weather entries should be marked as sunny, partially cloudy,
overcast, with %chance of rain marked for all cloudy days and degree of wind
marked for each day. (even if you remain on the same entry, reroll %rain and
wind).

  _____