[PnP] Help...more ship stuff

Choinski, Burton Burton.Choinski at matrixone.com
Wed Apr 27 21:08:34 CEST 2005

http://www.oceansatlas.org/unatlas/uses/transportation/seemore1.html
<http://www.oceansatlas.org/unatlas/uses/transportation/seemore1.html>

http://www.archaeonia.com/science/engineering/shipbuilding.htm

  _____

From: Choinski, Burton [mailto:Burton.Choinski at matrixone.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2005 2:09 PM
To: The Powers and Perils Mailing List
Subject: RE: [PnP] Help...

Just wanted to make a few additional comments as to construction time.

1)       build time will also be limited by materials at hand.  Even if it
takes 5 days per boat, if you run out of lumber or have to start
transporting it to the site you will be limited that way.  All construction
times assume all material is at hand, and all gathering times assume that
materials are left at the gather site.  If you have to transport any sort of
distance, figure on 40# per cubic foot ( or 12 board feet 1"x1'x12')

2)       One could DOUBLE the manpower-per-boat-per-day limits by running a
night shift at DOUBLE cost.  Thus, to HALVE the construction time you will
TRIPLE the price.

Notes on logging and board feet:
http://forest.wisc.edu/extension/publications/42.pdf
<http://forest.wisc.edu/extension/publications/42.pdf>

Rummaging about I found
http://www.cabi-publishing.org/pdf/Books/0851994199/4199Intro.pdf
<http://www.cabi-publishing.org/pdf/Books/0851994199/4199Intro.pdf>

In there was a note: "...in order to build one galley almost 300 ha of oak
forest and 122 ha of conifer forest, managed with selective cuttings were
cut, while 2-3 ha and 2 ha, respectively were needed if the clear cutting
method was adopted..."

A 20 mile hex is 346 square miles, about 89,717 HA (hectares) if pure,
usable wilderness.  I would assume anywhere from 50k to 80k for forest
hexes, 5k to 10k for plains hexes, 10k to 50k for hills or mountains
(mountains and northern woods having a higher percentage of conifers),

I have no idea what "galley" the source is talking about, but I'm pretty
sure this is 1500-1700's type ships, not ancient world triremes.  Scale as
needed.

The managed use allows for perpetual forestry, clear-cutting makes it
effective empty of trees.  Given the degree of elder and sidhe influence in
the world, I doubt clear-cutting is anywhere as common as it was in the real
world (except in those areas that don't give a crap, like Clima or A'Korchi
who are raiding other people's lands.

  _____