[PnP] The Goiden Project

Choinski, Burton Burton.Choinski at matrixone.com
Fri Aug 5 15:43:58 CEST 2005

>From another site...

The Firbolg people are primordial inhabitants, or early gods, of Ireland.
The third wave of invaders, they conquered Ireland and defeated the
Fomorians <http://www.pantheon.org/articles/f/fomorians.html> . Initially
the name was thought to mean "men of the bags," after the bags they used to
escape oppression in Greece, but they are now mythologized from the Builg
and Belgae and other P-Celtic settlers. Within the Book of Invasions, they
take their name from Bolg/Bolga, an ancestor deity.

Fomorians

by Micha F. Lindemans

Spacer image (1px).

Cite <javascript:void(0);> , rate <javascript:void(0);> , or print
<javascript:void(0);>  article    Send comment <javascript:void(0);>
Used sources

Spacer image (1px).

In Irish-Celtic mythology, the Fomorians are a race of demonic giants,
ancient occupants of Ireland (or sometimes mentioned as a mythical,
prehistoric people who raided and pillaged Ireland from the sea). The first
to invade Ireland were the Partholons, but after many battles the Fomorians
afflicted them all with plague. After them came the Nemeds, who in their
very first battle were defeated and enslaved. The third wave of invaders,
the Firbolgs <http://www.pantheon.org/articles/f/firbolg.html> , were more
successful and they subdued the Fomorians and managed to live peacefully
with them.

After a period of peace, the Tuatha
<http://www.pantheon.org/articles/t/tuatha_de_danann.html>  Dé Danann, the
Irish race of gods, arrived. They conquered the Firbolgs, but dealt more
subtly with the Fomorians, although they destroyed their hegemony over
Ireland for good in the second battle of Mag Tuireadh. The Fomorians were
given the province of Connacht, and were even allowed to marry some of the
Tuatha Dé. The king of the Fomorians is the one-eyed Balor
<http://www.pantheon.org/articles/b/balor.html> . Other prominent members
are: Bres <http://www.pantheon.org/articles/b/bres.html> , Eriu, and Tethra.

The Fomorians are sometimes mythologically associated with the powers of
nature which challenge man: fog, storm, winter, disease, crop-blight. The
name comes from fomó, "giant", "pirate".

Just historical notes for the list, but nice to see the origins of the lands
in text. :}

  _____