[PnP] Progress

Choinski, Burton Burton.Choinski at matrixone.com
Fri Jul 29 13:35:46 CEST 2005

Should've told me :)  Last night saw a link for medieval armor and weapons
that included build times and costs for France/Germany.  Darn.  What was
that keyword I used..."Ancient Building Costs" I think.  But can't recall
now it was like 2am :)  As to the high costs.  It does sound high.  But its
a start.  I mainly wanted to figure out the BF per Hectare since I have a
figure that tells how many BF ACTUALLY existed in a galley.  From that data
I can then figure BF estimates for ships higher and lower.  Then that gives
a basic cost for the wood and then just have to figure out the BF base cost.
But when you look at the FACTUAL figure even if you give .1 bb per board
that's still alot o gold.  Ships are expensive that's a fact.  But how far
do we go down?  .00001 BB per BF? :)  I'll have to figure this out.

I think I remember that site the indicated how many hectares of woodland
were required to build a ship, with clear-cut and managed numbers.

I'm not thrilled with the "hectares" method, since you have to make real
wild assumptions on the number of boardfeet in a hectare.  I would think a
better method is to simply get the weight of the ship, divide by something
in the 40-50 range (specific weight of wood) to find cubic feet, then
multiplying by 12 to find board-feet.

It's real rough, but I would think not as rough as the other method.