[PnP] More Peril with the Powers

Alex Koponen akoponen at mosquitonet.com
Fri Mar 25 01:24:05 CET 2005

Finally, I have some time to devote to gaming matters.

Some time ago I mentioned that in order to keep mysterious and
excitingly dangerous I use certain house rules:
1) I restrict all newly created spellcasters to an initial number of
spells as listed in Book 4, Rule 1.24. With the same restriction on the
maximum starting EL of their spells. I let them roll for spells randomly
one at a time until they have their full allotment of spells or until
the player chooses to pick the rest of their spells. The randomly rolled
spells are instructed, but the chosen spells are learned alone and do
not have the cost break that the instructed spells do. After paying to
learn EL0 in their spells they may allot the remaining expertise to
their spells as they see fit, subject to the maximum starting EL limit.

This has the advantages of simplicity, players knowing their spells
better, the characters better with the spells known and the spice of
seeking spells remains longer.

2) In order to make the casting of magic a more dangerous occupation and
encourage conservative use of magic I do the following:
If possible (sometimes too many spellcasters to keep track of) I
secretly roll the success rolls for all spells cast and inform the
players as to the effect of the spell. Anytime a spell failure (not
success or abysmal) occurs I make another roll (with the same chance of
success) to determine additional loss in Energy Level (EnL) and of mana,
both of which I secretly keep track of.

If this second roll is in the range of success - treat as ordinary spell
failure with the spellcaster getting 1 expertise point in the spell.

If the second roll is a failure - as above but additionally lose EL+1
from EnL; lose 1d6 mana points (as if used); stunned for EL+1 phases.

If the second roll is an abysmal failure - the spellcaster gets 1
expertise point in the spell; loses (EL+1)x(EL+1) from EnL; loses
(1d6)x(1d6) mana points (as if used); character is stunned for as many
phases as EnL points lost.

Should a character's Mana be lowered to zero the character is stunned
for an additional EL+1 phases.
Should a character's Mana be lowered below zero the character loses EnL
to make up the difference and is in a coma until the EnL recovers to
full.
Should a character's Energy Level (EnL) be lowered to zero or less the
character is permanently, irretrievably dead.

In addition to keeping spellcasters nervous this tends to weed out the
incompetent, brash and unlucky spellcasters. There are old spellcasters
and bold spellcasters but very few old bold spellcasters.

Note: There are certain ways to judge ones mana and EnL. Mana Sensing
helps, Mana Reading is more accurate. Spells such as Divination,
Perception, Soul Sight (on another) and Detection can be used to more or
less get an idea of how much mana or EnL is left.