[PnP] Old Q&A and suggestions re spells etc.

Alex Koponen akoponen at mosquitonet.com
Fri Mar 25 07:52:52 CET 2005

Questions asked back in mid 1984 of Richard Snider by Alex Koponen.

Book 2 p. 12 Can mana be cast whilst astride a moving horse?
No answer.

Book 2 p.14  7.4)  I suggest that across the top of the table should
read 'New Expertise Level' rather than just 'Expertise Level'.

Book 2 p.15  7.5) DURATION  Spell Descriptions
It would be easier to have written in the spell duration (EL+1 factor
applies as a power) rather than having to remember to add 1 to EL. Also
be sure to list whether phase, tactical turn, hour, etc.

Book 2 p.16  Does experience for innate powers have any effect on
general (trained) MEL or vice versa?
Snider's answer: No.

Book 2 p.16-17 Can Wizards learn Sidh or Shamanic spells? Are Sidh and
Shamanic magic considered Elder magic as far as cost to learn? What
teaching would be necessary? Knowledge spells?
No answer.

Book 2 p.17  Does any Magic-User (Natural Magician, Wizard, Natural
Shaman, etc.) have to use the spell 'Orient Self' and/or use a drum
before casting any shamanic spell?
Snider's answer: Natural Magicians can cast Shamanistic spells without
Orient Self.

Book 2 p.18  Can non-humans become Elder Wizards?  Or regular Wizards
for that matter? Or Shamans?
    Do Elder Wizards pay 250(wizard) + 225(sidh magician) expertise for
apprenticeship costs?  Or what?  Gets expertise from both
apprenticeships?
    For Current Ability (8.1) use highest, lowest or average of I or Em?
    For Maximum EL which is used, I or EM? - Em for Sidh magics, I for
Law, Balance and Chaos, and the higher of the two for Elder spells?
    Can Elder Wizards learn and acast Balance spells? If so - at what
cost?
No answer.

Book 2 p.18  Do Wizards gain 2 protection spells (general skills #4 &
$5) as part of their apprenticeship?
No answer.

Book 2 p.18-19  Is 'Permanent Magics' supposed to be Base Mana Cost 9
for all except Shamans - and Base Mana Cost 8 only for Shamans?
    Also 'Time Powers' - Base Mana Cost 8 for Balance
                                     Base Mana Cost 9 for Law?
No answer.

Book 2 p.20  CHAOS POWERS   'Quarrels' written twice.

I like the spells. It would be nice to see more of them. Despite the
mistakes this is still the best magic system I've seen and I've seen
many.

Book 2 p.21 CREATION  How do you determine the MDV of Creations?
Snider's answer: Creation MDV equals MEL+EL as for Magic Items.

Book 2 p.23  THE DARK COMPANION  How do you determine DCV?
Snider's answer: DCV equals EL+2

Book 2 p.26  EARTH POWERS   Alignement should read Chaos ass only Chaos
has Earth Powers listed.
Snider's answer: You are correct.

Book 2 p.27  FIREBALL   Example should read 'range of 14"'.
Snider's answer: You are correct.

Book 2 p.30 KNOWLEDGE  If the spell is cast at a lower EL than it is
known at, will the frequency be that of the EL that it is cast at, or at
the EL known? I presume that of the EL known.
Snider's answer: Yes. Knowledge frequency would be based on the EL
known, gain is based on the EL cast.
    What skills will the spell teach? What are the criteria for
deciding? One half of the Maximum Ability stats physical (S, St, D & A)?
Snider's answer: [Up to Ref. Primarily mental skills] It will not teach
skills that require physical effort, in training, to learn. It will
teach skills that are primarily mental or that require the student to
learn a great deal of essential information in mastering the art. you
should make an appraisal of which it does and does not apply for based
on your impression of the skills.
    Does the expertise count as instructed knowledge when learning new
spells by this method?
No answer to this part of the question.

Book 2 p.31 LUCK   Does thie spell exceed the possibilities presented by
chance or is it limited to the chances present? Example: An archer with
bow (WSB0) scores a normal hit and rolls 5 for damage. If the archer has
a +2 Luck Charm does the 5 get modified to 6 (the normal limit) or to 7
(5+2)?
I'd suggest that for play balance that it be limited to the chances
present.
Snider's answer: [exceeds chance. does not apply to damage rolls]  Luck
is better than chance ability. It does not apply for damage rolls. Sorry
for the ambiguity.

Book 2 p.31  MUSIC  Alignment should read ;Varies' as both Law ans Sidh
have it listed.

Book 2 p.32  OBLIVION   An Innate user of this spell using Energy Level
rather than trained Casting Ability rolls Abysmal Failure - is the
caster sent to Oblivion?  [No]
    Likewise use of Energy Level for the 'Knowledge' spell cast without
purification - can failure ve Abysmal?  [No, no Abysmal failure when
drawing from Energy level]
Snider's answer: Innate Magic-users, drawing from Energy Level, can not
suffer ill effects from Abysmal Failure. Abysmal Failure is only
applicable when the force used is extra-somatic.

Book 2 p.42  TELEPATHIC POWERS   Alignment should read  'Varies' as both
Chaos and Elder have it listed.

Book 2 p.44 LEVITATE   Duration=(EL+1...   What!?!
Phases, turns, minutes, tactical turns, hours,...?
Snider's answer: LEVITATE should read TURNS for duration.

Book 2 p.46  WOUNDS   Duration - 4 turns (EL factor applies as a power)
rather than Duration - 4 turns (EL factor applies)
Snider's answer: WOUNDS duration should read (EL+1) x 4 turns.

ALIGNMENTS  Are there 4 or 7 distinct alignments?
i.e. Do you need 1 spell (Protection vs. Elder) to protect you from: the
Kotothis, The  Sidh, The Elder, The Shamanic Elder, or do you need 4
different spells? This also applies to DISPELL/BANISH and to SUMMONING.
Snider's answer: There are four distinct alignments. Within the Elder
alignment, there are four subdivisions. Dispell/banis Elder is good for
any of the four groups.

Book 3  Give some general guidelines or rules concerning morale.
Snider's answer: Some rules for morale are included for animals in the
general note at the end of their descriptions. In general, the more
intellect a creature has, the greater its morale is likely to be.
Obviously there are many exceptions, when dealing with exceptionally
ferocious or hostile creatures, to this rule. As a general rule, keep in
mind that unless a creature is incredibly stupid or driven for some
reason, it will try to survive when it is in imminent danger of death or
things are going bad for its group.

Book 3 p.38  ELVES  concerning the example with OCV 2 and DCV 5 the
difference is 3. The difference of S & St bonuses and the D & A bonuses
is 2.  Do Elves naturally have a higher DCV?  Or is it a mistake?  [DCV
should be 4]
"Elves cannot be affected by Sidh Magic." [Should read Hostile Sidh
Magic]
- Does this include beneficial magic (Healing, Luck, etc.)? Even if cast
by the Elf upon himself? I'd presume not. Also does this include all the
spells listed under Sidh Magic or only the ones exclusively listed under
Sidh Magic? I presume all that are listed. [Any cast as Sidh magic not
the same cast as chaos magic]
Snider's answer: Elf DCV should be 4. Their magic resistance should read
Hostile Sidh Magic. It includes only Sidh Magic spells, i.e. those
spells cast using Sidh Magic. The same spell cast using Chaos Magic, for
example, could effect <sic> them.

In the future please publish stats for other races (Reptile Men, Ents,
etc.).

An article on makeing character class members of other races might be
appreciated.
Example: Character class Goblins HPV = 6 + 2d6   CEL use table - roll
D100/2 +3 + HPV (RD)
HPV        CB    SB+StB     DB+AB
  8             -1         -1              +4      Magic User is -1
AB, -1StB,
 9-10          0          0               +3     and -1 to any bonus
(Ref's choice).
11-13        +1        +1             +2
14-15        +2        +2             +1
16-17        +3        +3              0       Magic-Using Goblins use
Elder spells
   18          +4         +4             -1      normal and Chaos spells
at double cost.

Book 3 p.50  SHADOW WARRIORS   What effect does the shape of a Shadow
Warrior have upon it's abilities?  If winged can it fly?  [Yes]
The bigger it is the larger the HPV?  Etc.  [No]
Could you use cardboard cutouts to cast the shadows? Can a small shape
cast a BIG shadow to get a BIG Shadow Warrior?
Can it's values be changed by changing the quantity  of mana used in
it's creation (or Summoning)?
What effect would EL have for creating Shadow Warriors?
If you use someone's shadow to create one does he thereafter cast no
shadow? Does it make any difference whose shadow you use?
How long do they last?
I presume that (having strength and all) they are physically tangible.
Snider's answer: With the basic rules, only the warriors described in
Book One and Book Three exist. Their form can vary their abilities.
Their HPV and other stats are not varied as things stand.

Book 4  Can normal human NPCs train their stats (S, St, D, etc.)? How do
you determine Maximum Ability for normal and character class NPCs? May I
suggest a way of determining Native and Maximum Abilities for normal
NPCs?  Instead of 2D10 use 3D6 or 2D6+3 then modify according to race
and sex. The multiplier for C & Ap is determined using the table (1.111)
but with a roll of D6+1 instead of D10.  The multiplier for the other
stats is rolled for each:  multiplier = 1 + (D4* x .5)

Book 4 p.4  1.241)   I suggest that chance - roll = chance of 2nd item,
chance of 2nd item - 2nd roll = chance of 3rd item, etc.

Book 4 p.17  2.111) refers to 2.12.  Where is that? Is it a misprint?
Snider's answer: reference is to Area Specific  Treasure Table on page
21. It should be to 2.112.

Book 4 p.36  WANDS  B)As for Staffs. The Casting cost increase is ONE
mana point. The increase in the caster's EL equals the EL of the wand.
    Regarding the 3rd sentence: Increased EL including increased spell
effect? [No] Or just EL of the wand subtracted from the success roll?
[Yes] I presume the latter - ion which case the 3rd sentence should
read: Subtract the EL of the wand from the success roll.
Snider's answer: Wand El applies as Staff MEL. It is only a subtractor
on the success chance roll.

Book 4 p.41 COCKFEATHERS  B)   This is confusing as to whether burning
them gives 5 mana for the spell or gives Mana Level +5.
Snider's answer: Cockfeather give 5 mana for casting the spell ONLY. If
htey are not used immediately they are lost.

Book 5 p.10 KASHAN PAERMAN  EL2 not EL20 Executioner.

Other comments
Too many ambiguities! Clear them up. Soon.
A better index is needed (Squad Leader and Cross of Iron are good
examples).
Put table or an index on the back of the books (like book 2) rather than
leave them empty. {Or sample character, equipment and spell sheets}
Include in the game a playing board - A hex sheet that one could use
'Dry Erase' or grease markers on. Also include a Referee's screen that
has many of the useful tables on it. Possibly a seperate screen with
reference tables concerning magic.
These comments, questions, and suggestion have varying degrees of
importance. Feel free to assign your own opinion as to the importance of
each.
                                        Alex Koponen

dated 11/19/84.