[PnP] Enchanting Shields

Albert Sales drite_mi at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 26 18:23:07 CET 2005

I would recommend dividing by 2 for shields. Otherwise, the AV factor alone is outweighed by the blocking, and the defensiveness could get too high. The "guided weapon" seems a more popular mythologival factor, anyway.

A side question from this, does anyone allow the Hit modifier on weapons to be made Defense? I had two players ask about it so far, one I said no to, as he was using an already made Mace. The other was making a fighting dagger, and asked if the EL modifier could be used as defense. I told him that I would allow it, but only when his character had their EL in Fighting dagger used defensively, and the magic would never subtract from his rolls, even if he used his EL to do so. As he never used his levels offensively, he agreed.

Alex Koponen <akoponen at mosquitonet.com> wrote:
Using the Hit Chance of EL+1 that enchanted weapons to effectively add
to the weilder's weapon EL for the purposes of hitting, one would use
the shield's Blocking Chance or EL+1 to effectively add to the user's
shield skill for purposes of blocking.