[PnP] Western lands remap, physical, first draft

Choinski, Burton Burton.Choinski at matrixone.com
Mon Feb 27 15:38:42 CET 2006

Okay, here is the latest incarnation.

Some changes:

1)       I didn't like the little control over the Ras Relief filter, so
I use the Emboss for the mountains as well as for the hill and the rest
of the terrain (I just used more extreme values for mountains than for
grassland and the others)

2)       Replaced the horizontal line speckle in the hills with a green
"brush" speckle.  Basically, I used a fractal cloud effect to generate a
random element, reduced the effect in deserts and badlands and enhanced
the effect due to forests and rivers and lakes.  This can be taken to be
extra rugged hiss (lots of brush, or more tree cover than normal, or
thickets or whatever).  Please comment on this effect.

3)       I expanded on my way of handling mountain topographics.  When I
originally generated it I used the idea of a "limiter mask" to make the
3-d effect fall off as you reached the edge of the mountain terrain, so
it would look more natural.  Thinking on it, I added the river and lake
information to the limiter before I did my operations on it, so now the
rivers and lakes appear tho go with the terrain, instead of looking like
they were floating on top of it.  This looked so good I decided to make
a hill limiter layer and other terrain limiter with the same effects
thrown in.  It may be harder to see the effects on non-hill terrain
since the emboss effect is so toned down.

4)       All speckle effects are now applied BEFORE relief effects.
Snow looks better now.